Hikurangi


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
November 15th 2007
Published: November 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As we came back with George and Beb on Tuesday, he pointed out this wonderful limestone outcrop, and as its close to Whangarei, we popped up for a closer look. It turns out to be a spiritual site, so no eating or walking over the rocks. Nevertheless, worth a look, I always like a bit of Karst! Then we called in at the museum - closed, but the lady in the library rang the lady with the key, and we had a private tour. It showed the history of the town, through quarrying, mining, timber and the creamery, and also showed a great collection of family archives - lots of photos all over the wall. Lots of personal touches, including the ventilation holes!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dr HigsonDr Higson
Dr Higson

pointing out the formations with his new walking stick.
another expertanother expert
another expert

having her say.
the two Yvonnesthe two Yvonnes
the two Yvonnes

With many thanks to them for giving up a sunny afternoon and showing us round with such enthusiasm.
fish and chipsfish and chips
fish and chips

we all decided to have fish and chips at the waterfront in the evening sun. Then Alex and I spent the evening with Beb and George, looking at the photos (of Granny and Grandad at Pataua, and Dad and Nicola looking a lot younger in Cornwall) amongst other things.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb