Cycling from the Mountain to the Sea in New Zealand


Advertisement
Published: February 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

One by one we arrived at Station Lodge in Ohakune, a small town in Tongariro National Park in the centre of New Zealand's North Island, the evening before the start of our five day Mountain to Sea cycle ride. Station Lodge, where we had booked to stay for two nights, has a variety of accommodation for all pockets from an old station house that has dorms, single rooms all with shared facilities to ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




2nd March 2015

I endorse all that is said in this well presented blog. Mountain to sea is definitely an exciting and challenging bike ride. I was that "support person" so although I didn't actually cycle, I heard about the ride first hand at the end of each da.y I also experienced the accommodation along the way, which was more than satisfactory especially the Flying Fox - a paradise indeed!
2nd March 2015

Thank you Marcia for you great comments. You were a fantastic support person - much needed many times!
17th March 2015

A very good account of a great trip. The 5 days spent cycling was at times challenging,exhilarating and frustrating but I can assure you-never dull! We were so lucky to have such stunning weather each day which made the cycling so much more enjoyable and also gave us the opportunity to enjoy the stunning scenery in that part of the country as seen in Lucy's photos. What I also enjoyed was being able to learn some of the history of the area with which I'm not sure a lot of us are familiar.The whole trip was enhanced by great company and accommodation. I would recommend the Mountains to Sea to any-one.Thanks for a great account Lucy!
17th March 2015

You are right Chris. The history of the area is both interesting and sad. Sad that those who wanted to stay in the valley were not allowed to stay. However, if they had I wonder if there would be a cycle track through there!?
17th March 2015

You are right Chris. The history of the area is both interesting and sad. Sad that those who wanted to stay in the valley were not allowed to stay. However, if they had I wonder if there would be a cycle track through there!?

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb