First Few Days of The North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whakapapa
September 1st 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Since I first recieved a warm kiwi welcome from complete strangers in Auckland, it's been a blurr.

The first few days consisted of wondering around Auckland jet-lagged, a little confused and completely lost.

Things started to pick up when I headed for Hamilton to pay Jacob a visit. After a night on the town with some of his fellow med student flat mates, we headed to Mt. Manganui on the east coast to catch a few waves. I managed to find a decent bodyboard in Jacob's buddy's garage. 12C and blowin stink. I paddled out into a lineup of mostly kayakers - who were getting handled by the head high surf. We scarfed down some oranges and meat pies roadside, warmed up and had another go at the ice cream headache causing swell literally coming from Antartica.

I met up with Allen back in Auckland where we hired(rented) a sweet little nissan pulsar which helped us find some snow on north side (Whakapapa) and south side (Turoa) of Mt. Ruapehu. Our first taste of snowy slopes was a white out blizzard which caused the top half of Whakapapa ('Wha' is pronunced like 'fa"). Met some kiwis from Auckland at the University Club Lodge and found some fresh snow up on top the next morning alng with a few skiers with parachutes gliding down the mountain. Andrew (a fellow North Carolinain) gave us some shelter and showed us some off trail runs at Turoa that were insanely steep but powdery!(sorry, unable to take some photos). Then, we then found some natrual hot springs south of Rotorua, called Kerosene Creek, which we met 3 naked old hippies smokin a 'j' who were very willing to tell endless stories of their childhoods. Back to Auckland for now....


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Two sailors lookin for workTwo sailors lookin for work
Two sailors lookin for work

At the Auckland Maritime Museum
Raglan BeachRaglan Beach
Raglan Beach

Apparently this place goes off when there is swell


2nd September 2009

Matt!!
You are awesome! Looks like you are settling into hippie-ness quite well. Miss you here in NC.
7th September 2009

wow
Hey Matt, Looks like fun down there! Plenty of space for you guys to play in. Say hey to the Beck-Jaffurs for us. Love, Mama
8th September 2009

You are never coming home and who could blame you!! Be safe! We miss you in Wilmington!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb