World tour in a day


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wanganui
December 9th 2006
Published: January 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Both slept really well, although after too much alchohol it was more of a coma! Got up and got dressed for a run but it was really chucking it down. Its only 1 degree warmer than home but its winter there and summer here - boo! We got packed up and got some supplies from town before another trip to the excellent Freyberg pool, to try and get rid of the shabby feeling. Both felt better after a few lengths and a cheeky sauna.

Decided we have had enough of the wind and rain so took off in the car and drove for a couple of hours North to a small town called Wanganui. Booked our selves into a cabin on a campsite and headed into town to do some internet stuff. Unfortunately it was about 5:30 and everywhere was closing up. Decided to abandon it in the end and went back to base to catch up with the journal, write our xmas cards and do some reading. An early night was much appreciated after the beeriness last night.

Daves 64th Birthday - Happy Birthday! Got up and forced ourselves to go for a run - first one for
Long way from home.Long way from home.Long way from home.

but only 3 miles!
a while. It was hard work and for once it was not raining so was good to get out. We packed up and set off to Wakapapa which is the next port of call. We are planning on doing the Tongarairo crossing - one of the best one day walks in NZ - through a volcanic area and where some of the Lord of the rings was filmed. The forecast is looking good for tomorrow so hopefully should be ok.

We drove out of town on the Wanganui River road. Its a twisty turny road which is mostly unsealed so lots of gravel bends which made for fun driving - thankfully its a hire car and not our own! Had some amazing views on the journey down to the river and bizarrely passed through London and Jerusalem on the way. As we neared Whakapapa we got the first views of the Tongariro National park with the recognisable mount Ngauruhoe looking imposing on the skyline. Seems crazy that you can ski here on the volcano in the winter - but there did seem to be some snow on the top - maybe even fell last night.

Not too much accomodation about and due to an early start in the morning have decided to be inside again. Stayed at the Whakapapa Holiday Park in some basic but cosy accomodation with a log burner to keep you warm. Beck feeling a little run down - has some mouth ulcers which the pharmacist thought might be stress related!

Finally managed to get some net access and caught up with things. Got everything together for the walk tomorrow - the bus to the start of the crossing leaves at 7am so its going to be early. Had a relaxing evening and an early night, both hoping the weather will be kind for tomorrows walk.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb