GUEST BLOG: The Wild West


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wanganui » Wanganui
September 10th 2005
Published: September 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone!

Elinor here doing a guest blog with a gun to my head... Apologies that most of you probably only know me as the nutter who jumped from a plane but Gemma and Dave have turned into rednecks since leaving Wellington so you don't want to mess with them.

It all started in Wanganui, on our way up the Wild West Coast of North Island. The towns have got quieter and there has been a bit more contact with the yocals. Wanganui was... well what can I say? Ummm very pretty. We didn't do a massive amount there as the steam boat that does river trips only does Sat & Sun at this time of year - we didn't read those damn travel books properly again! We did however get to test out the acoustics in a very long white tunnel as we walked to an elevator that takes you up for a bird's eye view of the Whanganui river (note spelling difference here, very important as you pronounce 'wh' as an 'f' here). The echoes were quite cool. Ok, I know I'm reaching a bit here but really it was a very quiet place. Oh, and we all climbed a big tower to get a higher veiw, which Gemma managed again although shakily. We were slightly overwhelmed by the smell of urine at the top. Not sure whether this was due to other people with a fear of heights or just drunk tennagers.

Anyway, next day we set off to Whakapapa with Dave passing out his Minty Balls all the way. We dropped Laura and Simon at their hotel as they were going off to the ski slopes to pose around in salapettes (apologies if spelt wrong) and ski hats. Yet again they had great luck with the hotel rooms and had a fanastic view of the Tongoriro National Park and its three mountains (Tongoriro, Ruapehu, and Ngaughiro - again ignore spelling of last one as don't have correct one to hand, but it also known as Mount Doom for LOTR fans). We're thinking that something is slightly amiss here as they keep getting the rooms that are biggest, or have the best view, etc. etc. Do I sound jealous yet?

We took a walk up to the Taranaki falls yesterday, which was a beautiful waterfall coming over the rocks into a boulder ringed pool. The scenery around here is incredible. Then headed off to our YHA - ok but a bit scummy. Probably to do with the fact it's full of skiers, mostly in the same demographic (young thrill seeking males aged around mid-twenties). Think that one will get me in trouble.

Today has been more treks for us. We did a few short ones to the Tawhai Falls where the lesser-spotted idiot bird, otherwise known as middle aged man in a purple jacket who was determined to stand in the best photographic view for about half an hour. Dave was about ready to pounce on him like a rabid dog. We did eventually get him to move behind the trees although the purple can still be seen shining through the gaps. We also did a Mounds walk, not worth going into, and the Ridge walk which gave us fantastic panoramic vies of the National Park. It's just breath taking.

By the way, for all those of you have been complaining about lack of photos , namely Andy, they have now been uploaded so feel free to browse back at your leisure.

We then went up Mount Ruapehu to meet Simon and Laura and got a sight seeing sky pass up the mountain where we got even more amazing views. Gemma again challeneged her height fear although she still insists she is not going to be cured of it. I think some hypnotherapy may be required. But she soldiered on and forced herself to keep the eyes open on the ski lifts both ways. We then followed Laura and Simon as they skied down the mountain side and we waved from the chairs above. They were very impresive I have to say, although the snowboarders doing the 360 degree sppinning jumps won top prize.

Anyway will sign of now. Apologies for my lengthy chat. One last thing, everyone should come to New Zealand. It's amazing and we've all had the most fantastic time. I defintely plan to come back.

Right that's me.

Bye bye. Love Elinor (aka Mrs Rock).


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Tawhai FallsTawhai Falls
Tawhai Falls

Dave posing
Ridge walk trackRidge walk track
Ridge walk track

finally at the top
Snow fightSnow fight
Snow fight

Dave lost! But hey he was concentrating on taking a photo.


10th September 2005

So that's what mean't!
Happy NZ Sunday morning all. Elinor's Dad knew a Kiwi at college in Halifax. He regularly called him a "Whuck whart". He's had to wait 40 years to find out what that 'old traditional Maouri greeting' really meant. We love the photo's and commentaries but it's late at night here so we'll send a more considered viewpoint tomorrow, Sunday.
11th September 2005

Pictures lovely pictures
Much better. Lots of lovely piccies. Feel like I'm out there with you again. Dave's minty balls are fine - just watch out for his cheesy ones. Waterfall looks beautiful. Puts me in mind of a shampoo advert with all the girls posing in front of it.....
11th September 2005

Glad your having a great time sis. You are a lucky cow, will have to head out there myself looks to good to miss. Say hi from the big guy! love bro!
12th September 2005

COCK-A-DOODLE-DO
DON'T WANT TO CROW, BUT ENGLAND JUST REGAINED THE 'ASHES'. NOW BRING ON THE KIWIS ANY TIME!
15th September 2005

Night Sky
Would much prefer they did a talk with the real sky overhead instead of the virtual sky as it will be in 2059 etc. Didnt know Simon Shearing was with you. Ask him if we get a discount on our next Shearings trip. Looking at the Ugandea Gorillas at the moment (in a brochure to clarify ambiguity). Note you stayed at a 5 star hotel. Was this because it had no roof and it was a partly cloudy night. I think your bank balances will soon be firmly pointing at youth hostels or down and under and out hostels.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb