Not as exciting as its fairer cousin....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
August 3rd 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Black Water RaftingBlack Water RaftingBlack Water Rafting

Not me in the photo - but it gives you the idea

A little bit of artistic license used to lure people to the underground



There was almost nothing in this little place but it turned out to be quite an action packed stop. The town (or whatever you would like to call it) consisted of about 10 buildings - it may have been more but that was definitely what it felt like. The hostel was amazing though, and was broken up into little ski resort style chalets, and the rooms themselves were as good as you expect to find in a hotel.

When i said the stop was action packed what i really meant was that we did two activities - one in the evening and one in the morning. First off was quad biking, which once you got used to the steering was pretty enjoyeable although pretty much as you would expect it to be. I did think it was a bit mad though how casual they were about letting people on them especially considering there were quite big drops to the either side of the track. Didnt do too much that evening though because we had to go black water rafting. Which basically involved going through caves in rubber rings. It was a bit of a stitch calling it black water rafting though, because it bore no relation to white water rafting, and i'm sure that the name only serves to lure adrenalin junkies into a tame float through some black caves. To be fair it wasnt bad as it was quite an experience, its was just a bit of a let down when you were expecting something a little more full on. The caves through which we slowly floated are famous because they are full of glow worms, so that when you look upwards it looks as if you are staring up at a star speckled sky. Oh but suprise suprise they arent worms at all but maggotts, but they didnt think that maggotts would attract people to the site so they renamed them gloworms.

Needless to say that trading standards will be informed on my return.

All good though!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb