Day 84, Waitomo Caves


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the cavesLeaving the cavesLeaving the caves

I wanted to take a cute glowworm with me
This morning we left Rotorua for a day trip to Waitomo. There is basically only the caves here to see so we decided not to stay here the night, just go for the day to see the glowworm caves.

The journey took about 2.5 hours. We arrived at about 11am and booked on a tour of the caves. I found my mind was wandering so i didn't pay full attention to our guide when he was telling us about the caves, but basically they are really old and 30 million years ago they were under the sea. They are full of stalagtites and mites and thats enough of that - bring on the glowworms!!

Inside the caves are these glowworms, or maggots, which are only found in NZ. They catch food by spinning a sticky string like web and attract food by letting their bums glow and nice soft blow colour! They hang from the ceilings of the cave so when we went through on our boat tour you look up and see hundreds of glowing blue lights, like cute fairy lights! They really look beautiful even though when you think about it its a bit gross. No photos aloud so am afraid it was for our eyes only.

This evening we may go to a day spa that is open late for a bit of pampering!

Going to book on a traditional Maori night tomorrow so will be able to educate all on that too! In Rotorua for a couple more nights before we head up to Auckland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb