Rotorua - Waitomo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
February 25th 2007
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jaysus!! (As everyone as now started saying) Got up early again!! (these early starts are starting to kill me).

We stopped of at the Te Puia geothermal reserve. At first I thought bugger this I've already seen geysers in Bolivia, but I went along anyway as the Bolivian ones were viewed in mainly the dark.

At first we were going to follow a guide around but she wanted to go and show us the meeting house and gift shop to start off with - so we bolted as we were pressed for time.

The hot pools and geysers were far more impressive then any thing Id seen before. In fact they were real geysers (spurted out hugh columns of water 5 metres high.) The prince of wales geysers was the most impressive, named due to the fact it spurts three columns of water which looks kind of like the Prince of Wales coat of arms.

Jumped on the bus and left smelly Rotorua. We stopped for lunch at a pack n save supermarket, then went for a scenic walk in the Ruakuri reserve which also consisted of entering some caves (hugh underground network here) and got to see a glow worm (only form really far away though.)

Afterwards we reached our destination of Waitomo. There isnt much here and its essentialy a stop off to go caving or as they call it here black water rafting. Chilled out for the rest of the afternoon by the pool - (water was incredibly cold and the pool really shallow)

We stayed until dinner time, which was a barbacue (bought the food from previous supermarket). Relaxed with some beers and then with nothing to do went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb