Glow worms and more


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
November 13th 2009
Published: November 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Waitomo CavesWaitomo CavesWaitomo Caves

Exiting from cave on river
Today we visited the Waitomo caves to see the cave-dwelling glow worms. This is a very special trip where guided groups walks down a series of stairways passing though a number of chambers into the limestone cave and there board a boat. The guide then pulls the boat along fixed lines in total darkness except for the glow worms attached to the ceiling of the cave. The glow worms give off a bright blue bio luminesence that attracts mosquitoes and small moths into the caves. They become entangled in the glow worm's mucus fishing lines and are eaten by the worms. Quite bizarre. Eventually the boat exits the cave system at river level. Unfortunately taking pictures of the glow worms is forbidden.
Our quest to find a live Kiwi was achieved today at the Kiwi House at Otorohanga where we saw a Brown Kiwi and a Spotted Kiwi both in cages and both fooled into believing it was night time. No photos here either.
Having been travelling for almost 2 weeks we have seen the North Island from the northern tip to Wellington in the south and from the west coast to Hawkes Bay in the east. We quickly realised that
Kiwi HouseKiwi HouseKiwi House

Finally found one
with only 2 weeks we were not going to see the South isalnd and even the North Island needs more time to do it justice. Tomorrow we fly to Brisbane, however we plan to visit the South Island next time in the area and hope that it is not another 27 years.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb