Tubing and Caving


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
March 23rd 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 172 - Monday 10 March

Once again I actually like a place but unfortunately its time for me to move on. Its strange that almost everybody we've met had told us the south island is better than the north yet I think the exact opposite. Just goes to show everybody's into different things.

Were continuing to head north and today were making our way to the Waitomo caves to see the glowworms there. Way back in Laos Regan had said it was really good so i've been looking forward to it for some time. Theres different trips you can do but were going to do the tubing where you float through the caves on a rubber ring.

Arriving mid afternoon we had a couple of hours to kill before our tour but included in the price was entrance to the museum so we went along to pass the time. The museum tells you all about the caves and how they've been a tourist attraction for over 100 years. The glowworms themselves are actually fly lave that omit light in the pitch blackness to attract insects that have accidentally flown into the caves.

The tubing itself was brilliant. The best thing i've done in New Zealand. Its a mixture of caving and tubing similar to Laos (although the waters much colder and theres no bars but you do get to jump from waterfalls). In the darkness on the ceiling of the cave you can see thousands of lights given off by the glowworms. Its rather pretty and amazing.

As our tour finished quite late we parked up nearby ready to spend another night in the car and watched a dvd. Looking outside at the clear night I could see thousands of stars in the sky. I've not seen so many since Phi Phi in Thailand when I was with Far. It reminded me of her. We still regularly keep in touch as I do with Ji-Won. Theres something about being in the wilderness it gives you time to think. I'm getting myself into a bit of a hole with them and sometime soon i'm going to have to do something about it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb