Huntly


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waikato » Huntly
May 2nd 2016
Published: May 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Huntly - a town I tend to drive right through on my way to somewhere else.



But they have an i-Site. Why?? I clearly needed to stop and check it out. Thank goodness I did. Okay, my visit reinforced that there isn't a huge amount to do in Huntly but the lovely lady behind the desk was very helpful, they had pamphlets for just about everywhere else in NZ, there is lovely artwork on the fence, a picnic area with the perfect view of the power station and I was directed to an attraction I didn't know existed.



Yes, Huntly has something that is really worth visiting. http://huntly.co.nz/history/ The Huntly Coal Museum is tucked away on a back street so you need to know where you are going and look for the small signs. It is extremely well set up, especially upstairs.



Highlights:

- It is free!!!! But a donation would be appreciated.

- Plenty of NZ history as well as history relating directly to Huntly.

- It is small enough to see everything in a short space of time which is great if you are travelling with energetic kids or have the dog in the car.

- Friendly, knowledgeable staff who will be happy to show you round and answer your questions.



Lowlights:

- The stairs. Oh, the stairs. Narrow and steep so not suitable for the elderly. But there is a good handrail to hold onto for those of us who are unfit.



Geocaches:

- Grab a few in Huntly as you pass through. There is a park and grab at the south end of the town and a nice easy one to find under an overbridge. Or track down the ones round Lake Hakanoa. The lake is very popular with locals - running, walking, geocaching, exercising the dog....... A nice easy stroll will see you adding several caches to your list.



Munzees:

- Of course Huntly has Munzees!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb