Sports time!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
September 1st 2006
Published: September 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

hey all, first up, once again i'm at a computer with no ability to upload photos, so fraid you gotta wait a bit longer. So where were we, last you heard we had just been in a bubling mud pool, chilling out, so we went for a bit of a cultural day the day after that, which was erm......(someday, I loose track). We headed over to the musuem in the morning and it was really amazing, it was really interesting but also quite sad to learn about the maori troups who fought alongside us in WWII and gave there life in the name of a soverign nation they had never seen. After an extended visit to the musuem we headed out to the burried village. This village was buried the last time there was a major volcanic eruption in rotorua. It sounded really interesting and, the guided bit through the musuem was, as our tour guide was the grandson of the chief of the tribe who lived in the village when it errupted. When we headed outside though to see the burried village it wasnt particularly interesting to us, maybe we have limited imagination or something! That evening we went to a local maori village and experienced the culture and food of the Maori tribe (and you maybe suprised to learn I was infact last to the buffet!!). It was a really interesting night culminating in a torch lit walk through a small forrest filled with glow worms! to a sacred spring which was beautiful clear tasty water!

Yesterday morning we headed down to Wai-o-tapo, which is another geothermic area and it was cool because we got there intime to see the 10:15 erruption of the Lady Knoxx guizer (the erruption was unfortunatly brought on by a guide dumping washingpowder into it, but it was cool all the same). We then continued the short drive down to tapo and got there intime for lunch. We decided we would like to get out on the lake and would try and hire a boat, in the event we didnt rent a boat but instead went on a guided fishing trip, which was really cool and we both caught a fish each (both unfortunately bellow the 39cm lenght of fish your allowed to keep) and just befor we headed back in the line went again and I jumped up and started reeling it in, it was clearly a big boy and was willing to fight me! I got him in just next to the boat and the guide told us it was a deff keeper size, it was at this moment the fish decided to jump and free himself of my hook robbing me not only of my pride, but my dinner aswell!

Today we went snowboarding in Tongariro national park on the mountain next door to the one used as mount doom for any of you lord of the rings buffs, but my dinner has just arrived and you shall have to wait to wait till tommorrow to find out how the snowboarding went!

Ali and Stew

Advertisement



1st September 2006

Food, glorious food!
Stewart, Is it just my imagination was most of that journal entry focused on food? Aren't they feeding you properly?

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.1kb