South Island Bound...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
June 27th 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello to all. Since my last entry, things have changed quite a bit. I'm now in Taupo, a smaller town in the middle of the North Island. I'm making my way down to the South Island eventually to actually live and work, but taking the scenic route on the way. This place (all over) is absoutley amazing. The landscape is like none other and everywhere you look it's like that. From mountains, to snow capped volcanos, rivers, streams, lakes, waterfalls etc.

I did something yesterday that was such a rush... Went Skydiving here in Taupo!! Wow. That's all I can say. Jumped out at 12,000 feet over the lake and mountains with a Tandum master strapped to my back. Once the shoot popped, you felt like you were floating and could see for miles. We did it late afternoon, the best time of day. Looking back, great experience. I'm glad that I'm telling you this after rather than before...don't want anyone stressing.

Prior to getting here, the bus has taken us through three other towns, each for a night. Our group has been pretty good - mostly backpackers in their mid-twenties (and most from the UK - go figure - and me the only American, again go figure) except for Chief Pat, a Canadian in his mid 70's. Brave soul he his, staying in all of the hostels and throwing a few back in the pubs with us. We've only had "several" conversations so far about his American thoughts (and mine)... Remember he's Canadian. We've agreed and disagreed! Nice guy though.

We spent time in Rotorua, the geothermal springs area and major cultural center of the country. Experienced a Maori (native NZers) concert and dinner (actually a feast) while there and took a dip in the thermal pools. The treks/walks we've taken are breathtaking (or "brilliant" as the British would say and "Sweet as" for the Kiwis) - natural thermal pools, waterfalls, geyers, natural limestone bridges, lookouts, and at night, glowworms, just to name a few. Have good pics and promise I will send out, just need to find time to sort and upload.

And just in case any of you were wondering, there are 11 sheep for every one person in NZ. Now you can rest easy knowing that.

The weather here is cold, typically around 40F and cooler at night. Although the afternoons haven't been that bad with the sun. We've been lucky with rain and snow so far, but I hear as we go south, the snow and ice is extreme in some places. Should be fun - hard to believe it's like that here and at home its probably 105F. Can't wait for Spring/Summer here - should be even more awesome and when all of you should have a visit!

Hope all is well. I'll sign off for now...

Advertisement



27th June 2006

Aloha!
Hi Cory!! Sounds awesome! Congrats on the skydiving! i am so proud of you for being so adventureous! Can't wait to hear more about your travels. Chief Pat would probably be my favorite. I love Canadians. I love you! A Hart
28th June 2006

You gonna kill yo mama
You did what?? Sounds great. You said what it felt like once the shoot opened; what about the freefall and waiting for it to open? Can't wait to see the photos. Kathleen is working hard to get Skype going- she got a headphone/mic set for her birthday and is figuring it out. Keep the postings coming. We really enjoy the Adventures of Cory in the Land of the Sheep.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb