Picton through Wellington to Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 30th 2006
Published: May 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Eric on the Bluebridge FerryEric on the Bluebridge FerryEric on the Bluebridge Ferry

Terrible weather to see much scenery, but still interesting.
Up early we checked in at the ferry at 7am. I slept well, and our small room was quiet, though you had to go outside to get to the bathroom!

The weather was no clearer for this trip between the islands, but we were able to watch some movies and warm up with coffee and tea. This trip we tried the Bluebridge ferry, which was different than the last crossing. The ocean was relatively calm, and the ship moved a little less than the previous crossing!

In Wellington just before noon we made a quick stop at Maple Lodge Backpackers to pass on some good Canadian beer (Moosehead) to Simon and Jill. Hi guys! Then we were back on the road and heading North towards Taupo.

We went through Palmerston North, as I was hoping to try gliding again, but they weren't flying as it was a little cloudy (wimps!). Eric and I grabbed a quick bite to eat in a gas station and pressed on to Taupo.

We did find a really cool cafe, completely by accident along the side of the highway - a Douglas DC-3 airliner that served in the Royal New Zealand Air
NZ rolling landscapeNZ rolling landscapeNZ rolling landscape

This is how we saw NZ on sunny days - emerald grass, bright blue sky...gorgeous!!
Force. It's now painted in a "Cookie Time" theme (a popular brand of packaged cookies). You can go inside, eat at a little table, sit in the pilot's seat....kinda fun!!

In Taupo we checked into Burke's Barckpackers and got a super room with ensuite, unpacked and went out for dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb