From the Moon to Wonderland and Back Again


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
March 9th 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Huka FallsHuka FallsHuka Falls

Afraid that's rain not spray on the lens
To date, miserable weather has prevented us from doing our intended exploits in Taupo. 100kmph winds and snow at 1200m has meant that our planned hike across the Tongariro Crossing (between two large volcanic peaks) has been cancelled for the past three days.

Also failed to skydive (bad weather - not incompetence) on Tuesday, so we opted for a leisurely 16km trip from Taupo to Huka Falls taking in the Craters of the Moon.

Huka Falls is NZ's largest volume waterfall with >270m3 squeezing through a 15m gap every second. All very technical - it's a lot anyway... True to current form, it poured with rain on our trip out. Seems the weather predictions have been back to front so far (good weather on south island and wet and windy in the north island). Let's hope it fixes itself soon. Especially since we had planned to wind down and find the beaches shortly after Taupo ...

From Huka Falls we went onto the Craters of the Moon, a geothermal hotspot (excuse the pun) - one of many around these here volcanic parts. We thought it just looked a lot like Chobham Common with lots of puffs of smoke
Craters of the MoonCraters of the MoonCraters of the Moon

Or "Hobbits do Barbies on Chobham Common"
dotted here and there.

Wednesday, after further skydiving cancellations (too much cloud and wind), we headed out to the 'thermal wonderland' that is Wai-o-Tapu. Weather was still very unsettled - showers, clouds and winds one minute and brilliant sunshine the next. We are getting quite adept at going from t-shirt and shorts to waterproofs and fleeces in record times.

Spent a couple of hours exploring said 'wonderland'. Concluded that it was all very nice - fascinating even - but downright smelly. Certainly amusing to think we exchanged hard cash to be surrounded by pungent rotten egg steam for so long. Somehow the fascination of standing on (still active) volcanic reserves that can reach 300 degrees celsius, and seeing the vivid hues of yellow, green and orange (sulphur, ferrous salts and antimony - the lesser known grumpy relative of the mineral family) enabled us to withstand the smells. Mostly.

We had intended to have lunch (ok, more cake and coffee) having finished our explorations but we can exclusively reveal a great diet tip: sulphur smells suppress appetite. What is it with the North Island and these feelings of nausea?!

Yesterday we headed to the Tongariro National Park
The Devil's BathThe Devil's BathThe Devil's Bath

You can probably smell it from there ...
to see what we could have/should have done up there. Visited Whakapapa Village and found a suitable short walk that wouldn't see us plunged into hypothermia and/or lost in the mountains. Not quite what we'd planned but nice all the same. We'll just have to go looking for some volcanoes and mountains to go climbing in the UK when we get home. Any tips should be forwarded to the usual email address.

And that about brings you up to date. Except I guess, the small, insignificant fact that I threw myself out of a plane at 15,000 feet in the afternoon (that's Natalie incase there's any doubt). Plunged to earth at 200kmph for a wee while before soaking up the delights and sights of Taupo. Pretty darn good I'll say.

Things will definitely be calming down from here on in...
Love N&K x


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Antimony on Trees at Wai-o-TapuAntimony on Trees at Wai-o-Tapu
Antimony on Trees at Wai-o-Tapu

She gets everywhere huh?
Fluffy FernFluffy Fern
Fluffy Fern

(Not Britten)
The Exclusive Huka LodgeThe Exclusive Huka Lodge
The Exclusive Huka Lodge

Niiice accommodation - we didn't stay there, no.
Lake Taupo from the balconyLake Taupo from the balcony
Lake Taupo from the balcony

Another pad with a nice lookout
Mount RuapehuMount Ruapehu
Mount Ruapehu

This isn't meant to have snow on it ... and we're meant to be up there ... not down here. Yah boo sucks.
Me an' Albert at 12,000ftMe an' Albert at 12,000ft
Me an' Albert at 12,000ft

Amazing the lengths Kate will go to for a picture! (And before you ask, the gloves were part of the 'uniform'! Mmm.)


9th March 2006

how cool
Fantastic picture in free fall. Ace. Not jealous one bit but glad you look like you were enjoying it. (more scenery pix and fewer trees please). love G.
10th March 2006

Good Lord!
I'm exhausted just reading about all your exploits. At least your talk to your local WI group on your return will go down well... Can't believe you jumped out a plane (bonkers) - but then I can't believe you pre-plan volcanic hikes! J xx
10th March 2006

Iceland smells the same in spots, at least I thought it did till I found I was suffering from wind. 15,000ft Wow! Best I could manage was 8ooft but then I was afraid of heights. News..Just before he conveniently died, John Maxwell was about to be charged with a war crime. Sports News..The snail race in Mavis Enderby is cancelled due to sluggish behaviour.
10th March 2006

Caught short at 12,000 feet
Stunning photo of your sky diving Natalie - Kate's star jump just shades it though for style. It's a rather dramatic way to have a wee at 200kmph if I read your script correctly! Wonder if Albert knew what you were doing up there. Hope that the weather improves so you can laze on the beach and relax a bit. Look forward to hearing all the embarrassing moments you couldn't put on the blog. Keep enjoying yourselves. Much Love.
10th March 2006

Scary Skydiving
Great pictures a scary skydiving!
10th March 2006

Worried of Farnham
Am a bit worried now about the constant reminders on your blogs about copyright of the photos....does this mean I have to give up the assorted prizes and holidays I have won over the past few weeks in various global photographic competitions? BTW, the red skydiving outfit disqualified me from today's competition.....thanks for that - 1st prize was a kayaking lesson on Chobham Common.....
12th March 2006

Cool it.
You've got us both in awe of this incredible trip. We're suffering from vicarious holiday stress and we're looking forward to lazing on a beach or two. See if you can arrange it, wilya? ;o) Seriously good photos and a wonderful account of a truly amazing holiday. Thanks so much. And.... REST.
12th March 2006

Only the half of it ...
I can understand you mocking the jumpsuit Sue, but infact you only see the half of it. That's because there was only half. The material ended just below my shins - Mum I needed one of your amazing embroidery anglaise moments to rectify the fashion faux pas. Suffice to say, this is the only picture you will all see! As for copyright, I think my Mum has infringed those laws too, sending copies to all and sundry. I think we might start charging (we'll pay you 20p a page for anyone silly enough to want a copy...) And a big thanks to Fred for all his news updates - we're lovin' it.
15th March 2006

All looks and sounds fantastic. I do think however, that anyone who jumps out of a perfectly functional aeroplane at 12000ft just to have their photo taken in a pose that looks like a colourful kiwi mating ritual needs their head examining. I am seriously considering taking out a life insurance policy on you. If you dont fall out of a plane, drown, get lost in the mountains or fall down a volcano I will be amazed!! Come home safe. LOL A x

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb