New Zealand - North Island Pt. 1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kia Ora,

I successfully made it to New Zealand! And it is COLD. But hey it's been really good so far. I'm doing Kiwi Experience, which is basically a hop off hop on bus like I did in OZ, but this one is way better. Here you pretty much stay with the same people on the bus the whole way round and each day is packed with stuff to do. We usually get on the bus at around 8 in the morning, then stop off at various places to do activities and stuff before getting to our destination around 6 in the evening. We also stay at certain places of interest for an extra day if need be.

So arrived in Auckland a while back now. It's ok but it's pretty much just another city, went up the Sky Tower tho which was pretty cool, the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere. Then the first leg of the trip was up to the Bay of Islands, surprising it's a lot of islands in a big bay. Stayed here for about 3 nights. Did a day trip one up to Cape Reinga, the most northly point of New Zealand, which you have to drive up 90 mile beach to get to. It's the point where the Tasman sea and the Pacific ocean meet and is an important place in Maori culture. Also went to Treaty House up in the Bay of Islands, where the Maori chiefs signed over rule to the British crown in 1840, so the British would protect the native people from the French in exchange for us being able to buy land from the chiefs, apparently it is still the bone of much conjecture today. Anyway, history lesson over, it was back down to Auckland for the night, before the main adventure started.

From Auckland we picked up around 25 people, the majority of which I will be with the whole way round New Zealand, which is really cool as there a good bunch. The first leg of the trip was from Auckland to Whitianga, a small town where we did a walk down to Cathedral cove. It is also where a cash machine kindly decided to shallow my debit card, which is very annoying, having to rely on the old credit card now! After a night in Whitianga it was on to Rotorua for the night, it is one of the most active volcanic regions, with geysers and bubbling mud and all. It's also the cultural centre of New Zealnad for the Maori people. We went to a Maori night that night where they performed their traditonal songs and dances, as well as the haka. We then had the biggest feast I've had all trip, there was a massive buffet and i literally ate my body weight in food, the lamb was amazing. My stomach actually hurt for the next few hours, but must make us of any all you can eat offers these days!

Next stop Waitomo...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb