Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
October 17th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Huka Falls 17 secs
On Friday we said goodbye to Steve, Pam and the folks for a spot of touring. We booked a couple of extra days in Taupo, about four hours from Auckland, as it appeared to be a good base. And, as we went down the hill into the town and took in the glorious view, we figured that we had made a good decision.

Bit of history; the lake is a result of a massive volcanic explosion a few thousand years that even the Chinese and Romans spotted. The remaining hole filled with water to form a lake that would swallow Greater London. Taupo is a lake resort and a super base. It's well laid out, not busy at this time of year, plenty of decent shops and the people are as friendly as everywhere else we have been in NZ.

After failing to sort out some kayaking, we headed for Huka Falls just north of the town. On the way there, we visted 'Craters Of the Moon' a big geothermal area where you could fart alot and pretty much get away with it. The rotten egg smell wasn't to Abi's liking but it was interesting to see the hot rocks and the steam coming out of the earth.

We went onto the Huka Falls and hopped onto a boat to see it from the River Waikato. It was a pleasant hour and 20 minutes and, as we were the only people on it, it felt like we had chartered it ourselves. The river starts from Lake Taupo and pushes it's way through a gap in the rock at a rate of two Olympic sized swimming pools per second. The photos are worth a look and I'm hoping the video will upload.

A word about the Lake Taupo Motor Inn. It's the same price as a budget room in the UK with two large bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, stereo, Sky, broadband and all the facilities plus someone who taps on your patio door with a couple of plates of bacon and eggs.

After another horse ride, it's off to Rotorua on Sunday.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



18th October 2008

Hey,
Hey guys ! I'm just visiting in Bath and Mum and I have been checking out your blog. Looks great ! You must be having a ball. Love the video of Huka Falls - sounds amazing. Well done Abi for getting your Dad on a horse and Happy Belated Birthday :-) We are looking forward to your next installment. Have fun ! Love Helen x

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb