Wed & Thurs - Volcanic Activities


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday morning we are are off to Lake Taupo. Having learned, we booked a spot but Top Ten was booked so this time is was a “Kiwi Holiday park”. We relaxed a little, got some work done and Joshua worked on his jumps on the trampoline. The next day we visited a site called “the Craters of the Moon”. These are in fact, Craters in the earth that were giving off geothermal heat. We braced ourselves for a smelly experience but it actually didn't smell at all. It was eerie though. Signs that disclaim any responsibility for the eruption that can occur at any time make you look twice at the sign. It is an hour walk around and the views are great. In the far distance you can see the snow capped Mt Ruehapu (active volcano where people ski). That afternoon we spend a long time at the Thermal pools in very, very hot water! They had an elaborite series of six or seven pools with water at a variety of temperatures Even I had to say it was too hot.
Then we walked along the lake front to gather some pumice stones that are part of the lake's long ago creation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb