What goes up . . . . . . . .


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
January 18th 2008
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well today we thought we would do something different and so after some deliberation we decided to . . . .

SKY DIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEP, THAT"S RIGHT, I HAVE JUMPED FROM A PLANE HIGH UP IN THE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's something that we both fancied doing and everyone has told us that Taupo is the cheapest place to do it, so after waking this morning and seeing it was a clear day we thought 'why the hell not!!'.

After booking it at reception with a company called Freefall, we wandered around the town for an hour (trying to not think about it as we were both sooo nervous) until it was 2pm and time to be collected.

The driver was nicknamed Sideshow bob and yep, his hairstyle was that of the simpsons movie! But it made us giggle and relaxed us a bit.

Once we arrived at the office we were shown a video of someone sky diving and then given the option of either doing a 12000 feet or 15000 feet jump - we went all the way and did the 15000ft, well it might be the only time we get to do it!

After being kitted up in sexy jumpsuits and introduced to our skydive master (mine was called Grant) it was off to the plane we went - eeeekkkkkkk!

I think Grant was worried about me as I'm alwas quiet when I'm nervous but he did a really good job of putting me at ease and trying to point out the sights from the sky.

When we reached 12000, 2 other people from the group jumped at this point and when the door had closed and we began to climb higher it occured to me that I would be going first - oh noo!

We reached 15000ft and as the plane leveled out the door opened and I was shifted foward to sit on the edge of the plane - at this point I was absolutley pooing my pants but no longer did have a second to think about where I was then Grant pushed us both out of the plane - argghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

But it was AMAZING!! The feeling is just unbelievable and I just can't wait to show you all the video (well of course I had to buy it, it's not everyday I chuck myself out of a plane!).

Once the parachute had opened Grant even let me steer us in and do a few turns - sooooo much fun.

Di loved it too and as we were on such a high we decided we were going to treat ourselves, get ready and go out for Fish and Chips and then lots and lots of alcohol!

As we were walking through town back to our hostel, we bumped into Asaf and Shawn, the 2 Israli guys we met on the boat from Whitsundays! It's so weird but good when you bump into people, suppose it's a small world after all!

We arranged to meet them for a few drinks later, so went back to the hostel to get ready.

As we went through reception we got talking to one of the staff who informed us that a girl (a local backpacker who had been living here for about a year) had got murdered on Wednesday night in Taupo (night before we arrived). Nothing like that had ever happened here before so everyone was quite shaken up, but she told us the police where everywhere investigating it. The girsl was only 24 aswell, scary.

After our backpacker special of fish, chips and a wine for 10 dollars we went to meet our Israli friends in an Irish Bar. We could see what the girl meant as the police where in the bar asking everyone if they knew anything, really good to see the police where right on it.

We stayed out for a few drinks but as the Israli's didn't have much money but a bottle of rum, we ended up going for a night cap at our hostel before saying goodbye and hitting the hay.

I still can't believe I've done a SKYDIVE - how brave am I?????!!!!!!!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Is it a bird, is it a plane?Is it a bird, is it a plane?
Is it a bird, is it a plane?

No it's Superwoman!
The end of the rideThe end of the ride
The end of the ride

Gliding back to land - aweeeeee!


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb