Rotorua - Te Pau,Huka to Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 15th 2007
Published: April 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rotorua - Te Pau,Huka to Taupo

 Australasia » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo By jenron
April 15th 2007 We visited the large geothermal site on the outskirts of Rotorua called Te Pua. It is Maori owned and run and includes a Maori Cultural performance which was quite good but a little bit touristy (the singing and dancing was excellent though- they really gave it their full energy). The geysers there were impressively vigorous. The features are good but not quite as varied and fascinating as Wai-O-Tapu. They have a nocturnal kiwi house with a very active female and a younger male cowering in a corner trying to keep out of her way. We drove on to Huka falls - a very impressive waterfall - fairly short drop but huge amount of energy. Apparently madcap kayakers sometimes go down it - they must be crazy. We headed on stopping at the laid back geothermal park called Craters of the Moon. This is a lovely place to stroll around - you can get a lot closer to the geothermals and well worth the small entrance fee. We arrived at the YHA Taupo early evening. The hostel has a balcony area with lovely views out over the huge lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Thermal seatThermal seat
Thermal seat

Whilst watching this geyser you can warm your bum on hot rocks - very relaxing
Ron with geyserRon with geyser
Ron with geyser

The geysers were very active - making great noises as well as looking good


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb