Day 82, Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So the sky diving today wasn't meant to be! The weather isn't great and looks like it will stay until Sunday. Last night at dinner, H and i noticed Chris had gone very quiet and this morning he wasn't himself (i.e he wasn't laughing at my silliness) - his mood suddenly improved when we rang the company this morning and were told all dives were off today! He is a little nervous to say the least.

What to do on a rainy day in Taupo when you're on a budget? well a great way to start is to watch back to back friends DVDs so thats what we did. At 3pm we felt we had to do something with our day so hired mountain bikes from the hostel and set out with a map to cycle to these hot spas and waterfalls.

Stopped at the Taupo bungy platform and watched crazy people bungy off. I considered it for about a minute and then came to my senses. Got some good pictures so will put them on when i can.

All was going well, followed the cycle track around the thermal spas park and found the steaming pools off water. These pools are totally, 100% natural and were beautiful. The waterfalls track was signposted so we set off again. It took us through the woods, quite hilly so hard work, very desserted and it was getting on a bit so we just wanted to find the falls, take some photos and leave. You can understand our concern when we'd cycled on this track through the woods for an hour or so and then notcied we were back at the start. No falls in sight! It was starting to get dark, it was just us 3 and we were lost in the woods! Great! Decided to sack the waterfalls and headed back where we came from and found our way out, what a relief!

All that exercise meant a big dinner tonight with some cheap beer. We move on tomorrow afternoon to Rotorua. Apparently, the internet links in Taupo aren't good so we haven't been able to upload any photos today. i realise it makes the entries more interesting so i am sorry, but be patient, i will do what i can in Rotorua! Technology is a bit slower in NZ.

Advertisement



12th April 2007

Dont worry!
Lisa, your blog is interesting even without photos! You set very high standards! I reckon you should have given bungy jumping a go!! Mind you, the woods sound scary enough! Love Ali x
13th April 2007

Heh he
Who are all those naked people climbing around that waterfall? Naturist-weirdoes the lot of yous! Just don't do the bungy jump naked, that would be a bit much, and your boobs might slap you in the face. Chris is obviously a bit of a wimp, which is totally his perogative. Being moody and a wimp is a human right, which I often exercise myself.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb