Be careful where you build


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
December 12th 2006
Published: January 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Had an OK nights sleep but both feeling a little tired after yesterdays walk.

We drove down to Acacia Bay a beautiful little suburb full of expensive houses and swish boats. Spent a little while watching a cute black swan feeding in the lake, upside down with its bum in the air - real amusing! Wandered down to town to check out the information centre, grabbed a coffee and then went to 'the craters of the moon'. Its a geothermally active area which came into being when a local power station was built; water levels and pressures changed and this steaming bubbling park was made - just goes to show you need to be careful around here! The site is a walk past some geysers, fumeroles and bubbling mud pools. All throughout the site there is a 'bad eggs smell' of Hydrogen sulphide. It was good to see and really different to the south island. Before we came here did not realise that NZ is such a new country or that it is based above a join in two tectonic plates - maybe not the best place to buy real estate!

Grabbed some lunch at a local park and sat for a while in the sun. We had planned on going Mountain Biking but both feeling a bit lethargic still. Finally summoned up some energy and headed to the A/C baths (the current favorite - that's for you Dave!) and did some lengths in the outside pool before taking a dip in the mineral pool. The mineral pool was a little to warm for us and its untreated so you can get Amoebic Meningitis so care is needed.

Got some supplies in and headed back to the camp site for some great enchiladas washed down with yellow tail red wine. Ended up reading and relaxing for the rest of the night before a hot chocolate and bed - the rock and roll world tour lumbers on!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1mb