Taupo!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
January 7th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Taupo late afternoon, we were exhausted after the hostel from hell! Lake Taupo is stunning one of the most beautiful lakes I've seen. We really wanted to start getting into doing activities, extreme sports is after all what New Zealands known for!

But as Adventurous as we are, we thought we'd start of with Kayaking! We did a bit in Oz but that was amature compared to the 4 and a half hour stint we did. We had a guide and were in a two man kayak, had to wear the life jacket and skirt( the skirt's what you wear round youre waist and what seals you into the Kayak, if you tip over you pull the tag to get yourself free, my hands were on the tag!)

It was an amazing experience and a whooping 30 degrees so an amazing day with blue skies. Everyone that knows us knows how opinionated me and Will are so it took us a while to paddle in formation, but we eventually got there.

The main point of the trip was to Kayak out to the Mauri carvings. The carvings were actuyally not that old, infact only 30 years! it says a lot for the history on the other side of the world compared to the UK! However it was still all done with hand tools, chisels etc. The pair that carved the monstorous face on the stone by the lake actually were originally not allowed to do it by the council, however they carried on and started to draw a crowd. It became a tourist attraction in the making so the council allowed the carvings. It's pretty cool.

We didn't have our camera but a few lads said they'd email us some shots that they took so should be on soon.

Love Claire & Will


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mud poolsMud pools
Mud pools

Think The Bog of eternal Stench!!
Lady Knox VolcanoLady Knox Volcano
Lady Knox Volcano

These shots obviously arn't of the lake, The Lady Knox still errupts today, in order to show us the eruption they all washing powder to the volcano which breaks the seal and causes an eruption. It erupts for 45mins a time. cool!
Hukka FallsHukka Falls
Hukka Falls

Beautiful, a stop on our coach trip, should have seen the jet boats!


11th January 2007

Hey....
Your kayaking is putting ours to shame. What a long river and what an incredible time you are having to remember. So jealous that we cant have a 'year out' to experience what you are. How come the young have all the fun .... Just savour every moment as I'm sure you are doing - England is bloody bleak, cold and windy at the mo. You're in the best place - enjoy !!!!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb