Day Out at Rotavegas


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 1st 2006
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mummy LionMummy LionMummy Lion

Having a lazy time
1-10-06
After putting the clocks forward one hour today for Summer daylight saving and seeing as the weather was OK we decided to have a trip to Rotorua. We called in at Paradise Wildlife Valley to have a look at the lions and lion cubs. As you will see from the pictures, the cubs are not babies anymore but probably just over a year old so there was no way we were going to go in the cage with them and have our photos taken. They were not very thrilled at the prospect of people staring at them so just layed down and didn't want to do much.

We had a walk around the park and saw very large rainbow trout, some very ugly wild pigs with orange hair, wallabies, black swans, ducks, chicks, Kia bird (like a parrot), alpacas, and deers. So learnt something about wildlife today. It was quite interesting to see them in some form of natural habitat. Weird seeing the wallabies though coz I thought they were only in Australia - they are a smaller version of a kangaroo.

After that we went into Rotorua itself to the hot thermal pools and geysers. It stank
AishaAishaAisha

Female Cub
of rotten eggs and was very strong smelling today. The wind was blowing and we got wet through walking past the geysers. The noise they made was like thunder coming up through the rocks. The hot mud was jumping and bubbling with the heat from the thermal valley underneath. Enjoyed looking at it but couldn't live there with the smell. Wish you had smelly vision to know what I mean!!!!!!!

We went into the Maori meeting house which is called a Marae. You have to take your shoes off to go in because it is a bit like a church and sacred to the Maoris. They didn't have a written language when they first got here so carve all their stories into pillars in the Marae. Glad they could understand them - all a mystery to me. Will get to see a proper Maori show before I leave as there are plenty of them about.

All the fresh air is making me tired so fell asleep on the drive back. Made the journey quicker.

Tomorrow I have got a training day for my new job. I am going to be in the big supermarket (Countdown) about 20
AslanAslanAslan

Male Cub
- 24 hours a week and no Saturdays so I can still travel about with Aunty Tina and Uncle Andy. I have got a lovely green and orange top to wear and thank god I brought my own black trousers - wouldn't be seen dead in theirs, come up to the armpit.

Went out for a meal last night to celebrate me getting a job. We waited half an hour for our starters and as soon as he put that on the table, our main course arrived. We had to send it back and then we waited another half an hour for them to bring it back and it was cold. Sent it back to get zapped in the microwave. I had the biggest chocolate pudding imaginable. Chocolate cake, chocolate sauce, cream, and slices of white chocolate on the side - deeeeeelicious. That's my chocolate fix for the week sorted.

Then went off to the local pub The Prince Albert for a couple of games of pool and a drink before heading home about 10.30 - yes 10.30. There was no one about when we came out of the restaurant and by 10.15 the place was jumping (as much as it can) but we were definately not dressed for a night out so jumped in the taxi and came home. A good night though.

We are heading for Hamilton Zoo next week so on Friday can start singing that well known song "we're all going to the zoo tomorrow". Pictures to follow.

Have a good week.

Ebo
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rotorua Thermal ParkRotorua Thermal Park
Rotorua Thermal Park

Me and Uncle Andy
Rotorua Thermal ParkRotorua Thermal Park
Rotorua Thermal Park

Hot bubbling mud
Rotorua Thermal ParkRotorua Thermal Park
Rotorua Thermal Park

Me and a funny looking 'geyser'
Rotorua Thermal ParkRotorua Thermal Park
Rotorua Thermal Park

Prince of Wales Geyser and the hot thermal blue pools
Earning my keepEarning my keep
Earning my keep

Chained to the kitchen sink


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb