Journal day 72 - Rotorua.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
April 18th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Woke up at the staff parking space outside the gates of the Waikite thermal park. There's no staff here yet so got into the resort through the little gate I'd found unlocked yesterday to get inside just to use the camping shower facilities....! Used the showers and drove off before any staff arrived. I'm a right crafty one...

Drove back into Rotorua on the SH5 and stopped in The geothermal/Maori experience centre Te Puia. Decided the tickets were too expensive and thesauri experience thing looked very similar to the one I'd already experienced in Auckland so gave it a miss. Browsed around in the shop and bought a couple of books instead. One in particular explaining the Maori myths and legends with great illustrations. It's a kid's book but sure I am one of them.

Went into Rotorua and walked around a bit. Free Wi-Fi at McDonalds, nice one Micky D.
Rotorua has plenty of gift/touristy craft shops. Far less tacky overall than those in Auckland.

Visited family friends who live in Rotorua Nigel & Jill and had a great evening, meal and company in a lot more comfort than my van. Their house has an incredible view over Lake Okareka and the volcano Mount Tarawera. Beautiful view constantly changing with the day, season and weather. Very enjoyable evening.

Nigel Kelso, Jill & daughter Sally.
Sally professional photographer.
House and dinner. Great evening.

Click here for Rotorua pics: Rotorua pics

Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb