ZORBING!!!!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
May 5th 2006
Published: May 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

launch padlaunch padlaunch pad

carl launching us off the edge
Woke to the torrential rain on the van and elyse wrapped like a worm in her sleeping bag with her fetching pink pj's! Nice.
You may remember from previous entries my dear wife had been trying to get me to jump inside a zorb ball & hoy myself down a large hill. For those unsure of a zorb ball it's a large clear inflated rubber ball which you climb in the middle of and then off you roll wherever it feels. We arrived at the centre with elyse so excited at the prospect of me entertaining her - what happened next is known as "bowling a googly" - within seconds of entering the reception desk I had signed us both up successfully wiping the wee smile from her freckled face!!! We were to roll together inside the ball down a hill with an added little bonus - 10 litres of water inside to give that extra washing machine effect!!! So pleased with myself. You had to take a running dive into a small hole in the side of the ball which is probably 12ft diameter - in I piled and waited for the princess to make her entrance through the hole.
the zorb trackthe zorb trackthe zorb track

wash cycle commenced
and waited. & waited. She was now flapping outside the ball with the attendant man questioning him on the temperature, depth etc of water - He had that resigned look on his face that can be often found on my or my dearest BB's face. Eventually in she popped all muttering & spluttering - before she could say "I'm a princess don't you know" I had closed the hatch and launched us off the side of the hill and down the steep track. Superb - I spent most of the journey under water as I fought with gravity and elyse spent most of hers on the ceiling excercising her vocal chords to great effect.

Fantastic playtoy these things and one everybody needs to have a go at. Piccies tell all the story so enjoy. Over to the drip.

Well - I was slightly scared - that is true - but really glad I did it - it was fab !!! Spanner - I know you would have absolutely loved it - right up your street. We need to find or set this up in England.

It was quite a contrast to the mornings activities where we walked
wet n wildwet n wildwet n wild

somewhat shocked and stunned - couldn't stop laughing our heads off
around a buried village with a local Mauri listening to the story of how his descendants were swallowed up by the 1860 eruption - very very spooky - there's no fear of me moving here, even though it is so gorgeous - the whole country is right on a fault line and everywhere you look the ground has bubbling mud pools and steam billowing out of underground fissures ! - the whole place is about to blow!!!!!!!!!

off to sample some local friday night entertainment and sink a few cold ones - however carl thinks he's off to watch the Aus v New Zealand rugby league game or the Crusaders v the Brumbies - we'll see !!!!!!!!

3 more nights left in the campervan - yeeha - it's starting to smell a bit - in fact we realised today that it smelt worse than the sulphur smells around this place so had to do some van maintenance which carl enjoyed immensely as you can imagine.

can't wait for that hotel in auckland
speak soon
take care all
lots of love
persil & bold !!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

thankfully it's all overthankfully it's all over
thankfully it's all over

it was freezing when we got out as it was pouring with rain !


5th May 2006

is there no end to your talents?
So what if she screams at bugs, runs from bees and cowers from spiders - the princess can casually toss herself out of a plane with nought but a bag strapped to her back and then throw herself down a hill with nought but a fat lad for a cushion! Dear Carl the flapping is only to make you feel more manly - insde she is pure steel! I can't imagine why you didn't wear your entire wadrobe and throw in a wasking tab, cheap at half the price. Glad you are taking this cultural tour so serioulsy and absorbing all that different cultures have to offer. Bye for now.
5th May 2006

What a great way to entertain yourselfs. I am surprised and impressed that you are still in the van. What about a bungy jump next ?
5th May 2006

sorry!!!!!
Sorry about the earthquake panic!!!!!! Just worried about you both. Zorb ball looked brilliant. Wouldn't your dad go well in that. Jonnie didn't get his test but has in for it again. Going to Gareth's engagement party tommorrow night. Weather at moment is quite nice - actually sunny and warm! Lots of love take care Mum
6th May 2006

BALLS
Well, dont know which is more scary, being in the ball with giddy Irish bird or 19st of manhood. I would have paid good money to watch the show, I cant stop laughing, just going about my daily life and bursting in to laughter. You will be pleased to know I met up with "The Danby" in Hfx last night, it wasnt pretty, I've done wonders for Anglo/French relations.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb