Riding the luge and relaxing in Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 6th 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It was a grey and drizzly start at the lovely green campsite but we set out into Rotorua hopeful that things would improve. After a short potter around the centre (before anything was open!) the sun started to come out and we headed out of town to find the Skyline Centre. By the time we arrived it was another scorcher and we were one of the first in the car park so we headed up the mountain in the gondola after purchasing our 3-luge ride tickets and went straight off on the 'scenic route' track. Well there might have been some scenery around but there was no chance to look out at it as we hurtled down the mountain round hairpin bends and through tunnels not two inches from the ground on what was basically a piece of plastic on wheels with handles to steer and what brakes there were a quick yank on the handles. Wow! It was a real adrenaline rush and we were really impressed with how long it went on. “Again, again” we were saying at the end so straight back up the chairlift (which was a very scenic route looking over Lake Rotorua) for the next go. This time 'the intermediate' steeper, faster and a bit scarier but not a patch on our final luge ride - 'the advanced', which included the big dipper where our luge's left the ground and some really fast downhill chicanes and banked curves. Wooooohoooooo we yelled.

We made the most of our time up skyline and recovered from our luging with lattes on the terrace, whilst watching the now crowds and queues of people bumping each other, overtaking and even trying to stop on the way down to take pics! - sooo glad we went early.

Right, what next then? We were on an adrenaline high from luging and went off in search of more crazy activities - next stop zorbing. But as we pulled up to an empty car park it didn't look like anyone was getting ready to hurtle down the hill in the domes - we soon found out why. £30 for one go!! - i.e. A less than 10-second hurtle down a hill inside a big balloon that looks like a hamster's wheel - I don't think so. Would be good but extortionate or what...? We had a little look at bungy jumpers (no way Jose), a wind tunnel where you could mock freefall (looks amazing but £30 for one and a half minutes) and some other weird invention called shweeb (basically a very fast monorail - £30 for a minute this time) before deciding that the luges were far better and we were getting hot, tired and hungry.

A back of the van picnic lunch by the lake sounded like a good plan and we stopped off to get a few bits on the way. “wow” says Daz - this is a good deal. 1Litre of special Kapiti Fig and Honey ice cream or only $4.50, that's amazing - lets get some. So we took it out to the van only to find that the tub didn't quite fit in the freezer compartment. And then to find that it had actually cost about £7! oops. It was good ice cream though - and we did manage to cram some into a bowl in the freezer so we didn't quite have to finish the full 1L in one go!!

A bit more pottering around Rotorua and the Whakawawere thermal area where hundreds of Maoris were celebrating Whaitangi day (basically independence day) and we spent the rest of the day lazing in the sun back at camp. We seemed to get used to the renowned rotten egg smell of Rotorua, or maybe it just wasn't as bad as we expected. The only time that it really turned the stomach was first thing in the morning when we opened up the back of the van and it seemed to hit you. At other times it was actually quite nice - more like boiled eggs than rotten eggs we decided!!!







Advertisement



8th February 2010

Remember us
Can't believe you didn't bungy jump!! After the luge didn't look tame. With all your comments about chutney and wine, we thought it was time to remind you about the case of wine that you were going to ship back before you left so that on your first day back you had a bottle to give to everyone you left behind (2 bottles for those people directly providing cover!!) We are going to miss these bloggs Love Ruth
9th February 2010

nearly done, boo
ha ha, would love to say the wine is on it's way but am afraid it isn't!! has gone so fast, can't believe it's off to Auckland tomorrow before we fly out. Will be back before i know it and will all seem like a dream! glad to hear you're still reading - hope work is not too bad!! xx

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb