It stinks and its not Jason


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 13th 2006
Published: February 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

AslanAslanAslan

Behind you can see the toddler.
We went to the North Island by ferry from Picton after a long drive from Greymouth. On our way North to Rotorua we came across a beautiful double rainbow. We couldn't stop on the motorway so we took a photo from the car.

Rotorua is a town sitting on a lot of geothermal activity. The place has loads of hot pools and smelly mud pools. It actually makes the whole town smell of rotten eggs. You're supposed to get used to it after a few hours but that didn't happen.

We then headed to a trout fishery and wildlife park just outside of town. They have a couple of 16 week old lion cubs which they allow you to stroke so we couldn't resist. The cubs were a bit sleepy when we got there as they had just had a feed but one of them (Aslan) got up for a walk around after he spotted a little toddler in the enclosure (small children are great for taking along to get good piccies of big cats). I was given a ball and string to play with Aslan but he wasn't interest in it but preferred to play with my leg with his teeth. Thankfully he's only little and I didn't feel it. If anything I was chuffed that I can say a lion bit me. Afterwards we went to a thermal reserve that also has Maori shows and art work.

After Rotorua we went to a coastal place called Whakatane. There's not a lot here but it's the sailing point for tours to White Island. This is one of New Zealand active Volcano's. The boat ride there was a bit long and choppy but thankfully it was a nice plush boat and they gave us huge cookies. We disembarked onto the island and basically had a walk around, watching our for fresh holes filled with boiling acidic water. Parts of the way around require a gas mask as the gas is acidic and very very smelly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb