Walking in a Thermal Wonderland.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 93 (Wednesday 22/07/09, NJJ)
Up at 8.30am. Left camp by 9.15am for ½ hour drive to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. After we paid we drove to the Lady Knox Geyser for the 10.15am eruption. It turns out that a park employee tips soap powder into the geyser mouth which causes the eruption. They do this as the geyser would otherwise erupt approximately every 48 hours and they couldn't guarantee a time for visitors. It was actually quite good even though we were initially disappointed. On next to the mud Pools - Nat found these fascinating and kept going on about wanting mud facials and treatments. The park fee was worth the cost for the 75 min walk around the scenic reserve. The smell of sulphur was strong but not offensive. We saw the twenty five thermal sites in total and the Champagne Pool was the best. Popped back to the Mud Pools because I love them and also to get a scoop of the mud straight from the pool so that I can use it for a mud pack, bless Jamie for getting the mud for me. Drove back to city, walked around shops for couple of hours. Bought dinner from 'Hell Pizza'. Spent the evening in the TV room at camp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.2kb