Back on the road


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 5th 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The HakaThe HakaThe Haka

Our boys show how its done. Kind of.
People don't really rave about Auckland, but there are lots of great places to go if you know where to look. Tourist information is somewhat lacking.
I climbed a couple of (extinct) volcanic mountains - Mount Eden and Rangitoto Island, formed from a volcanic eruption just 600 years ago, and with probably the best views of Auckland at the top (although I couldn't recreate that with my camera). Almost the shape of a fried egg, the climbing is very gentle at first but gets a bit steeper half way through. Well worth it. Only 3 ferries a day go there, with the last one coming back at 3.30pm. Noone lives there so if you miss the last ferry you're in for some camping.
I left Auckland last Saturday morning on the Stray bus - my friend (I hope) for the next couple of months. So far so good, although their booking system is a bit wobbly. But the drivers seem to know their stuff, and show you places on the road between destinations.
It really is a beautiful country. I think if I could transport all of you lot (family and friends) over, plus maybe a little injection of London life
AucklandAucklandAuckland

The view from Mount Eden
into Auckland, I would live here.
The first day was a rainy drive through the Coromandel range to Hahei, nearest town to Cathedral Cove, a place used often in New Zealand tourism. Despite the rain we did the 2 hour return walk to the Cove, which was pretty rugged because of the weather, and no less striking for it.
There was also a stop at the hot water beach, where you dig hole in the sand and water bubbles up from 2 underground hot water springs, creating a natural spa. It takes a bit of time and effort to find a/ a free spot and b/ a free spot where the water is hot but not scalding. We didn't really manage it but it was fun trying.
That evening our driver cooked us a fabulous bbq and we got to know eachother over a beer or two under the stars.
The next day we headed back west to Raglan on the west coast - known mainly by surfers for the Ngarunui beach with its "longest left hand break in the world". Its a great beach for non-surfers too. The town is very sweet and the countryside very beautiful. Great hostels too, although out in the bush were the biggest crickets i've seen in my life, who had a habit of flying into you in the evenings.
After hopping off for a few nights in Raglan, I hopped onto a new Stray bus. The next stop is a small town called Maketu, back in the north east, where members of the local Maori tribe, Te Awara, put on an evening. Aside from the slightly jaded feeling you got from the young boys, who are doing this 4 or 5 nights a week for the tourists, it was interesting and quite fun.
The boys learnt the Haka and the girls the traditional Maori Poi dance.
Yesterday we headed here to Taupo, stopping off on the way at the Arapini Swing bridge, the smelly Rotarua hot mud pools and the Huka falls. They are created where the Waikato river, usually 100 metres wide, has to flow through a 20m gorge and down a 20m drop. Pretty spectacular - looked great for whitewater rafting but they don't allow it anymore after too many casualties.
A night out in Taupo last night - its a nice little town; reminds me a little of a ski resort, and of course its on the edge of Lake Taupo, the largest lake in New Zealand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cathedral CoveCathedral Cove
Cathedral Cove

Tourist hotspot - photos used in NZ publicity. Was spectacular, despite the rain.
Hot water beachHot water beach
Hot water beach

People come to this crowded spot every evening to dig holes in the sand in the hope of a free thermal spa experience.
On the roadOn the road
On the road

A typical roadside view of New Zealand, morning time.
NativesNatives
Natives

The beautiful Kauri tree.
Ngarunui beachNgarunui beach
Ngarunui beach

As pointed out by my helpful assistants. The longest left hand break in the world brings surfers here. Good for swimming too, as well as sundozing.
Raglan - Ngarunui beachRaglan - Ngarunui beach
Raglan - Ngarunui beach

Looking towards Point break.
Not a bad viewNot a bad view
Not a bad view

From the driveway of the Solscape hostel in Raglan.
Sunset in RaglanSunset in Raglan
Sunset in Raglan

Breathtaking
Maori dancingMaori dancing
Maori dancing

As it should be done.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb