SLEDGING


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
November 7th 2005
Published: November 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rotorua


Hi all,
I am so strapped for time b/c I spent all of it uploading pictures. You should definately check out my older entries and check out the pictures. The words don't do justice.

Caitlin and I are in Rotorua where we are constantly fighting off the stench of hard boiled eggs. It lies on a geothermally active plateau so there is a constant smell of sulphur. BUT, it also makes for some great mineral pools heated from geothermal activity as well as geysers and boiling mud baths. Even the cheapo little hostel we stayed at had a hot tub!

This came in handy after we decided to do our first adventure activity... SLEDGING! You have all heard of white water rafting. Imagine a similar river, but instead of a nice comfy raft and paddles, you have only a wetsuit, flippers, helmet and something resembling a boogy board.

We signed up and they outfitted us. After about 7 minutes of sledging instruction on the way up to the river, we practiced for another few minutes on dry land. We carried our sledges down a windy, slick set of stairs to meet our river.

The river company is
Cait in GearCait in GearCait in Gear

Embarassing Pictures War Score: Meesh 2 Caitlin 0
very respectful of the original history of the river, which in all cases in New Zealand, is a Maori tradition. The caves that line the river used to be the wartime safe zones for women and children who'd be absieled down from the cliffs. We entered one of these caves were they said a Maori prayer for safe journey on the river. We climbed over the step rail (I felt like we were breaking in!) and jumped into the river!

The rush of being in such powerful water was an incredible rush! I had a pretty good kick so I was able to maneuver a bit around. We went into a few Grade III rapids and towards the end of the journey, we took turns surfing on a rapid. Basically surfing means you kick upstream and the point the nose of your sledge up into the air so the surging water smooths under your sledge and sort of lifts you up above the water. SO COOL~! (See my exhilerated expressions)

After sledging, Caitlin and I decided that it was a bit tame for us. We signed up for the next available rafting trip that took us over Grade
Meesh in GearMeesh in GearMeesh in Gear

Embarassing Pictures War Score: Meesh 2 Caitlin 1/2 I think she only gets half a point if I post my own bad pictures
IV and V rapids including three waterfalls. They were 1m, 2m and 7 meters tall! The 7 meter one (22 feet?) is the largest commercially raftable fall in the world. We got submerged on that one, but it was great fun.

Sorry I don't have pictures from that trip, although they are a LOT better. (If anyone wants to get me a Christmas present, it costs an extra 30 bucks... they charge an arm and leg here, but hey who needs food when you have endorphins?)

We're staying here for a few days, hopefully get some kayaking in and explore a bit. We hear there is a foam fight at the local bar put on the river guides that took us down the river. Instead of a kiddie pool however, they are putting it on in a raft. 😊

Next entry... Raglan! (Surf town)

love
meesh



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Our GuidesOur Guides
Our Guides

Surf's up!
Oh ShitOh Shit
Oh Shit

Wake up!
there i amthere i am
there i am

still having fun!
i'm not sure who this isi'm not sure who this is
i'm not sure who this is

but we'll pretend it's me


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb