Adrenaline time


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 11th 2005
Published: October 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

On arriving at Spa lodge, Rotorua, we immediately booked into a whitewater rafting trip down the Wairoa river - reputed to be one of the most challenging commercially rafted rivers in NZ with multiple grade 5 rapids - as this was only available on Sundays due to dam release schedules. The following morning our guides picked us up and drove us about an hour to the river. With only me, Toni and our guide in our raft we really had to work hard to keep the raft moving in the right direction. Somehow we made it down without flipping the raft which was more than the other raft managed! Afterwards we had some food and our first introduction to NZ sandflies - I'm not looking forward to meeting them again on the West coast of South Island. When we got back to Rotorua we had just enough time for a quick trip up the gondola and a couple of runs down the Luge track - great fun but over too quickly.

The next day we were up early (ish) to get down to Wai-o-tapu to explore the thermal area and see the Lady Knox geyser eruption (10.15 every day with the help of a little soap!). The thermal area was great with a real variety of unusual ground formations. The geyser itself was slightly underwhelming. We then headed back to Rotorua to the Maori village of Whakarewarewa. A fascinating insight into the real life of villagers and how they used the thermal energy to heat homes, cook food and bathe. After this we headed for a run in the stunning Whakarewarewa forest on the outskirts of town. Here there were loads of other runners and mountainbikers enjoying the redwood forest. Our 11.5km run was great although it took slightly longer than we had expected.

After a third night in Rotorua it was time to head south for Taupo. When in Waitomo Daryl (a friendly local) mentioned a few things to see on the way so we headed off the main road for a quick dip in Kerosene creek. This was a naturally warm stream with a small waterfall and pool where people can take a dip without fear of freezing! The signs warning us to keep our heads out of the water for fear of nasty bugs, although appreciated, did not inspire confidence so we didn't stay here too long. However it was an interesting experience.

From here we travelled a little further south and stopped at Rock 'n' Ropes. Marcus advised that this was a must do on our trip and I have to agree. Although the various tasks weren't that far off the ground and we were roped up, we were both a little phased when asked to walk backwards on a beam and jump off the top of a log to catch a trapeze and finally jump from a platform on a swing back to the ground. We both found that this one of the scariest activities of the day (even though later on we jumped from 12,000feet).


South of Rock 'n' Ropes we briefly stopped at Aretiatia damn where water is released down a fantastic gorge every two hours. We took a few fantastic photos here as the water level rose and gushed down the gorge. As we left the gorge the weather began to clear and we took the decision to contact a few skydive companies in the hope of booking a jump - we were in luck and 20 minutes later we were on site at Taupo airport being harnessed up and taught about the basics of skydiving. 15 of us were crammed into a little plane and brought up to 12,000feet for the jump. As Toni was the smallest of the group she had the honour of going out first (purely because she didn't get a seat in the plane and had to sit on the floor next to the door). Before I realised it the door was being opened and Toni had jumped. After the initial 'what was I thinking' moment the experience was fantastic! The freefall lasted 45 seconds and then we floated down with views back to Tongariro and over lake Taupo. It was well worth doing and it was fantastic that we got the weather for it.

After the adrenaline filled morning we decided to fit in a few touristy things for the afternoon. Firstly we headed to Huka falls and then on to craters of the moon. Huka falls was another spectacular waterfall - although not high, the volume of water that flows down it makes it really impressive - aparently it is sucide to try kayaking or rafting it but locals do try it now and then! Someone even tried organising a race down it last year before the council stepped in to ban it. Craters of the moon is another active thermal area which is worth a visit. We took a 45 minute walk around the site through the steaming pools and mini craters. It obviously started raining as we finished and we were pessimistic about the whanganui river journey so we decided to head for Tongariro next and spend a few days longer there than planned doing the Northern Circuit walk. More about this in the next journal!




Advertisement



17th October 2005

skydive
Wow. You pair are nuts. Was the skydive tandem? or did you have to chuck yourself out?

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb