Some get the T-shirt, I slept in the volcano!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
April 13th 2007
Published: April 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, no skydive yet! We were hoping (as the song suggests) not to take the weather with us to Rotorua! We've booked our next skydive for Sunday morning, the weather is supposed to be better by then so hopefully it'll a go to plan!

Rotorua is built in a Volcano and has loads of thermal areas. We arrived in the afternoon, we knew quite abit before we as you could really smell the sulphur. We're staying at Planet Nomads Backpackers which is really central and the lady who runs it so friendly. She gave us money off the rooms and told us loads of things to do in the area. With it being the afternoon we went on a walk to Kuirai Park and around Lake Rotorua and into the gonvernment gardens.

Kuirai park has loads of steaming, bubbling mud pools and it really smells! We walked across a little lake and there was so much steam you couldn't see the end of the path. Everywhere you look there are areas of steam, even in peoples back gardens. Around by the lake is a traditional Maori village with typical houses and carvings. We went in the church which had Maori carvings in. The government gardens is home to the Rachel Spring which is famous for bubbling at a temperature of 212 degrees F. After that we decided to brave Sulphur Point, don't think i'll be going back there! People say you get used to the smell but there's no chance of that at sulphur point!

We're going to the Waitomo caves tomorrow to see the glowworms so yet another early morning and lots of travelling!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Lake RotoruaLake Rotorua
Lake Rotorua

DUCK...where?!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb