Exploring Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 1st 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Foot Pool at Hell's GateFoot Pool at Hell's GateFoot Pool at Hell's Gate

Adrianne tempts fate in the satanic Foot Pool.
We were able to pack in a lot today. After Starbucks (got the Rotorua mug), we headed out to Hell's Gate, a Mauri owned tourist site featuring one of the more active geothermal sites in the area. A bit of hyperbole in the name - apparently George Bernard Shaw coined it. Astrid was overcome by the smell, but nevertheless soldiered on with us as we walked through the site admiring various steaming pools of water, minerals and mud. The featured mud volcano was disappointing. It may be the only example of a mud volcano in a geothermal reserve in New Zealand (perhaps the world), but that doesn’t change the fact that it is a 3-4 foot high pile of mud.

We then headed back to town to take in the Rotorura Museum, which is located in the former building of the (then) world famous Rotorura Spa. The Spa was opened at the turn of the 20th century to much acclaim. Many Europeans traveled the great distance to receive “treatments” in the natural mineral waters and mud. There were extra charges if you wished to have a stream of electric current run through the water while you were bathing. However, I suspect the bill was not the only shock. Unfortunately, the mastermind behind the spa had failed to take into account the corrosive properties of the mineral waters and the spa soon fell into disrepair and after being put into service treating war veterans of both the first and second world wars, it was ultimately closed down in the 1960s, only to be re-opened in recent years as a museum.

Our main plan for the day was to attend the Kiwi Encounter just outside town. On the way we passed by a place temptingly called Skyline Luge Adventue. The luge ride involved the same cart and lift system as the ride we took on Senotsa Island in Singapore, but was much longer and more interesting as it winds through some scenic forests. After one ride down, we headed over to hopefully encounter some rare kiwi birds.

The Encounter did not fail to disappoint. The site is essentially a facility that attempts to incubate Kiwi eggs, and carries for them for about 6 months, at which point they are released back into the wild. This remarkable bird used to number more than 1 million, but in recent years its numbers have dwindled to perhaps 50,000, mostly as a result of predators introduced by the Europeans.

We saw three very young kiwis receiving their medicine and also saw three kiwis in open pens. Unlike our “encounter” at the Auckland Zoo, there was no glass between us and the Kiwis which were close enough to touch (although of course we didn't for fear of infecting or distressing them). They really are remarkable and unique creatures. Our short time with them was definitely the high of the day for each of us. (Yes even better than the Starbucks).

Toward dinner time we set off to Masteron (home of the Golden Shears, national sheep shearing contest), near Wellington. About 430kms, it took about 6 hours with a couple of short stops. The scenery during the daylight hours was something else. At times, it looked like Kaui in Hawaii, at other times you could mistake it for areas of Ontario or the Laurentians. It was spectacular.


Advertisement



3rd March 2007

...not fail...
I am assuming one would have had to visit the Laurentians to be able to mistake it for that. I detect a definate attempt to practice (something solicitors do) sarcasm. "did not fail to disappoint"! I love that! I have had alot of that in recent years! Well enough about me! I hear sulphur is an aquired 'taste'! Love your blog. Ever considered it as a reality show? You would definately have me as a devote fan! Any word on the reno? I am interested!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb