What's that smell? Rotorua!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 5th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left Raglan early in the morning and went to Waitomo. There are loads of caves here so everyone went on different trips. I opted for a dry tour (not as adventurous as you Laura!) but it was really good. We got taken to the cave and had helmets with flashlights on to help us navigate. Once inside we turned our lights off and it was pitch black. We had to walk through the cave holding onto the person in front - literally the blind leading the blind! We got in a smally dingy and went through the cave. The roof of the cave was covered in small green lights from 1000s of gloworms! It was amazing. You may have seen it on one of David Attenborough's BBC nature programmes. We also went into a second cave to look at all the rock formations which was also really impressive. The guide was very good as well.

In the afternoon we drove to Rotorua but stopped off at a Zorb park as several people wanted to roll down a hill in a large ball (human hamster ball!). From that point on there was a distinct egg-like smell. When we got to our
Waitomo CavesWaitomo CavesWaitomo Caves

Glow worm spotting
hostel in Rotorua, me and Shashi were beginning to wonder if it was us. After smelling our shoes, bags and each other we realised it was all the sulphur in the air and not something we had trodden in. Rotorua has a lot of geothermal activity we shall be exploring tomorrow.

Advertisement



6th February 2007

All sounds like lots of fun!! (Btw, let me know if you receive comments if I post them like this.) Keep having a fab time, Jen xx

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb