Sailing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
January 20th 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post


Sorry you have not been hearing from me for a while I have been in the country No internet connection. Its been really tough ! Catching up now though.




Saturday 20th
After breakfast Martin and I decided to get out on the water. We took the rowing boat out and took it in turns to row along the shore, the wind was a little strong for a row boat and we were being blown about too much and this was making it hard work, so we returned to get the Sailing dinghy out of the boat shed and try our luck at sailing on the lake. Its been a while and I have forgotten more than I can remember about sailing but it all comes back to me bit by bit and it’s a good job Martin knows what he is doing, we are soon sailing off across the lake.

Later that afternoon I head off to the Buried village at Te Wairoa. The village was buried under two metres of volcanic ash when the volcano erupted in c1860’s (cant remember the exact date). The village has been preserved and ancestors of the survivors show you around
House in RotoruaHouse in RotoruaHouse in Rotorua

sorry cant remember what it is or where Martin do you Know? its a nice house anyway
the village. When I returned to the lake, Juan had prepared a wonderful meal of a leg of lamb cooked on the barbeque the smell was fantastic and it tasted good too.

After dinner Martin took us to a secret cave that only a few people know about on the other side of the lake. We had to wait till it got dark so that know one else would see where we were going, it felt like something from a famous five book. We arrived at the cave that was hidden from the world by lots of overgrown plants after parting them and pulling our little rowing boat into the side of the rock face, we were in a small cave it was dark but we could see something in the distance. As our eyes got used to the dark we could see thousands of little lights, these were glow-worms and as we sat there in the cave and our eyes adjusted and we began to see more and more. It was truly magical.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Blue and Green LakesThe Blue and Green Lakes
The Blue and Green Lakes

this was the blue one


31st January 2007

the 'house'
The building was built in the C19 (?) by the Government as a part of their tourist encouragement. It is known as the Bath House, as that is what it was. Now there are a couple of other bathhouses, and this is the museum.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb