Paihia


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Paihia
November 11th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

beachbeachbeach

again, not crowded, despite being a popular spot. In fact there were coach tours, but people get dropped off in time for a trip and are more or less funneled into the next activity, so you don't coincide much.
The Bay of Islands has a reputation - a must see for visitors, and I can see why. A beautiful harbour, lots of islands, and plenty to do. You can go fishing, sailing or cruising for any length of time you like, in a boat of any size you choose. Here you need to have savings, unless you just watch others having fun!!. We took a mornings boat ride round the islands and through the famous hole in the rock, and as a bonus we found 2 pods of dolphins that raced alongside and leaped in the air right beside the boat. Alex also did a hair raising very fast and splashy sort of trip. The hostel had kayaks you could borrow, so we did a bit of sea kayaking (she writes nonchalantly), it was good, except the boats have holes in the bottom to let the surf out so you don't sink - but guess what, the water comes in too, and you get a wet bum! I also visited the treaty Grounds where they signed up for British rule in 1830something.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

flagstaff hillflagstaff hill
flagstaff hill

gives you a great view of the bay
fast ferryfast ferry
fast ferry

to Russell, the hell hole of the Pacific. Well it was, when the whalers turned it into a den of iniquity. Not that bad now, actually
ferry againferry again
ferry again

it just keeps going all day, 10 minutes each way. and it is pretty fast.
mack attackmack attack
mack attack

the scary boat about to go through the hole in the rock
the islandthe island
the island

we kayaked to. quite a good distance for a beginner, eat your heart out Welshpool canoe club! mind you, i had lots of good advice from my resident expert.
one of the islandsone of the islands
one of the islands

this one has 2 lagoons for swimming or diving, and another island for an interesting view. Wonderful.


13th November 2007

Dolphins
Alex that's a great video. Well done you! Wonder if Grandad's matches that?!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb