Paihia and Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Paihia
September 19th 2005
Published: September 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

So much to add since I last managed to update!
Travelled out from Auckland to Paihia. As a result of bad weather could not go out for any activities this afternoon, but Kiwi Exp found us a different opportunity at some hot mud pools. Was really relaxing and we were filmed by Kiwi at the same time, believe it will be for some new videos showing kiwi exp activities!
Had an amazing day yesterday on a trip right up to the most Northerly point - Cape Reinga. Had to be careful up there, as it's a really spiritual Maori place where they believe their spirits will leave the island. This meant we were not allowed to walk on the very tops of any of the hills, as this is seen as disrespectful to the Maori who believe the hills to be the heads of their ancestors!
Having been to the Cape we headed of down to a little bay for lunch which was very chilled out, got to dip my feet in the Pacific Ocean! After a quick lunch we headed across to the Sand Dunes which are HUGE! Went boogie boarding down them which was amazing, unfortunately I didn't quite manage to master the art of aqua planing across the small river at the bottom......
Next moved on to Ninety Mile Beach which was amazing, and following last night's storm saw areas where up to three metre sand cliffs had formed where sand had been removed! Ninety Mile Beach is actually classified as a road - Highway 1a! We stopped a couple of times, once in totally the wrong place and got the bus stuck in the sand! Resulting in a tow for a landrover and lots of male strength pushing the back of the bus. Though the clincher was the female supporting cheers for the boys!
Today had an amazing morning on a dolphin trip! Saw about 15 or so bottle nose dolphins who came sooooo close to the boat!
Back to Auckland this afternoon for a couple of days in the city.

Advertisement



20th September 2005

Sounds amazing! Sorry I haven't replied to your text, out of credit. Not sure about Saturday yet, will try to make sure I'm free!
20th September 2005

Even better!!
Two more baths. One in mud and then one in a stream. Dolphins must have been special. Interesting how the two cultures accomodate each other (no not dophins) the Maori and the non-Maori regarding the sacred areas. Nothing really like that at home.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb