Paihia best at sunrise


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Paihia
July 6th 2005
Published: July 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

From trip of mid February '05: Headed North first as suggested by various books, was shocked to feel like I'd landed in L.A. after 16 hrs of plane travel when I arrived in Aukland the first night. Walked across to a pretty little beach but was still in a sectioned off suburbia.
At last reached little harbor town of Paihia after stopping at Kawakawa to use the famous toilets recycled glass artwork of Austrian artist F.Hundertwasser,they have postcards and calendars, it's a 2 street town the post office was my first taste of Kiwi hospitality/education in Maori welcome, a favorite for chatting with the locals who stopped in. In Paihia had rented a two bedroom apartment set on a hillside off school street, as part of group of 5,traveling with handsome Butch and my lovely daughter Aisling, we were met at the airport by his delightful daughter Carrie, and the talented Cara, who were glowing from having spent 3 weeks in NZ before meeting up. We all climbed into VW camper van to begin adventure.
Paihia is a tourist town but slower and friendlier as is New Zealand. The trophy fishing in Bay of Islands is a big draw at the wharf, and there are lots of good choices for eateries.
I'd say New Zealand red wine is under appreciated and almost all the food we had was outstanding, fresh & creative. What a joy to walk barefoot everywhere,cross the little grassy park at the library and down to sea for swimming and kayaking.
First morning awoke before dawn stepped out and looked up to see the Southern
cross,somehow recognized it immediately,what else could it be, I'd heard about it from my Father's days at sea. Butch and I walked along the shore up to the bridge leading to the treaty grounds. How odd to see a circus tent set up with neon lights! I guess it's a Summer pastime timeless and global. Walked back as the sun rose when the bay of Islands is at it's most peaceful. Sunrise is best for the picture book views of the ocean, endlessly dotted with little islands where seals and dolphins rule.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb