New Plymouth


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » New Plymouth
January 29th 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here we are, in New Plymouth! We left Rotorua late morning, yesterday, bidding a fond farewell to Blue Lake campsite, our home for the past 7 weeks or so. It's about a 200 mile drive, with some winding roads along the last stretch, but a pleasant journey. We're missing the bush and the lake a bit, but enjoying the new vista across the Tasman Sea from the Belt Road Holiday Park, and the fresh sea breeze.

The van remains a constant during all of this, like a comfortable shoe. Wherever we go, we have the familiarity of the van and our things in it. Giving up this van at the end of March is going to be a struggle! However, the plan is to hire a camper in Australia. We just couldn't do B&B's and hotels after experiencing the freedom a van gives.

After a cup of tea and a bite to eat, we ventured along the coastal path into the city centre. We passed Len Lye's Wind Wand along the coastal walkway, a huge red pole with a red light at the top, swaying in the wind.

We wandered up through the shops to Pukekura Park where
Len Lye's Wind WandLen Lye's Wind WandLen Lye's Wind Wand

'That's one big fishing rod...'
they have a Festival of Lights from mid December to mid February each year. The park is lit up with various lighting displays and there is a series of night-time entertainment by local and national performers on stages in the park.

We've slept with the van doors open for the first time ever! There are NO BUGS! It's been fantastic to lie in bed and look up at the stars. Steve keeps looking for the 'milk pan' and the North Star but I'm sure they're in the Northern Hemisphere.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Festival of LightsFestival of Lights
Festival of Lights

Band playing in Pukekura Park


31st January 2008

i know what you mean about the van - it looks so lovely and we're so jealous!!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb