Quiet time and then Gravity Canyon


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » New Plymouth
December 30th 2006
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dawson's FallsDawson's FallsDawson's Falls

@ Mount Egmont National Park
Thu 28th Dec
The Tongariro crossing trip was cancelled today cos of the weather so decided to squeeze in a quick trip to the west coast of NI. Drove to New Plymouth which took about 5 hours taking in the ridiculous SH43 Lost World Highway. You never know where some of these roads are going!

Had a wander round New Plymouth, then took a walk around Pukekura Park at night where they're quite pleased about some lights they've put up in the park. Should have stayed in!

Fri 29th Dec
Took the western coastal route on the Surf Highway around to the southern access point to Mount Egmont. Did the Kapuni Loop Track to Dawson's Falls. Carried on round the coast, stopping for lunch in Hawera before continuing down to Wanganui.

Took a look round there, Queen's Park and the Sargeant Gallery. Cooked some dinner again and just chilled in the evening with a box o'beer and Big Daddy, the Adam Sandler classic!

Sat 30th Dec
Drove up to the Mokai Gravity Canyon nr Taihape - awesome setup and watched people do the 80m bungee, flying fox and bridge swing. Good to see some action after a
Wind WandWind WandWind Wand

New Plymouth's main attraction...
quiet couple of days.

I did the flying fox, 180m high, 1.1km long, and speeds up to 160kph whizzing thru a canyon. Stunning ride, great views. Bungee was far too high for my liking but hoping to do a smaller one in Queenstown but not sure I can do it! Bridge swing was by far the scariest tho, freefall for about 40m then swing around for a bit - see some great scared faces of people as they drop. Hilarious. Probably last bit of adrenalin activity until Queenstown.

Drove down to Wellington and had an awesome chinese dinner. Lot of driving round last couple of days. Time to chill...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Whanganui RiverWhanganui River
Whanganui River

taken from Drurie St elevator in Wanganui
Our first KFCOur first KFC
Our first KFC

not as if we were gonna go 7 wks without...
Flying foxFlying fox
Flying fox

starts up at the top at a station nr some trees and finishes about 180m lower down


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb