Art Deco Weekend - Napier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Napier
February 24th 2014
Published: February 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Friday 21st - Sunday 23rd February

WOW where do we start! Arrived in Napier on Friday in 2014 then spent the rest of the weekend time travelling backwards and forwards to the 1920's and 1930's. We set up the campervan at Kennedy Campsite just in time to receive a phone call from Cousin Gytha & Brian would meet us in an hour or so and to be dressed for the occasion in our 1930's clobber! Meet us they did in Brian's Bentley - a 1929 6.5 litre monster. Last time we saw it 5 years ago it was a pile of components on the floor of Brian's 'shed' - or workshop or museum !! We saw and heard it coming down the road from quarter of a mile away - an absolutely beautiful and magnificent vehicle fit for royalty - so we felt quite at home in the back being chauffeured by Brian and Gytha.

Into Napier for a quick meal and found everyone in the town dressed 1930's style from grandparents to toddlers what a tribute to the town. It was the most surreal experience and hard not to believe we hadn't travelled back in time for 250 cars from all over NZ and further afield were being driven around the town. Gytha however told us we hadn't seen anything yet and tomorrow with the parade would be something else. We drove back and chatted whilst Gytha sorted out a little black number for Lyn for the next night. We finally left them to put the Bentley to bed and climbed into our own about 1.00 am.

Saturday dawned, very hot with clear blue skies. dressed up to the nines once more and collected to join the official parade in the Bentley. This was the start of a 'matchbox moment' the cars ranged from 1906 single cylinder Cadillac to modern 1937 MG it included a huge V12 Hispano - Suiza, Auburn, Super Charged Alvis and of course the star of the parade the 1929 6.5 litre Bentley!!! There were also numerous assorted motor bikes and push bikes. The cars paraded through the town to the delight of some 20,000 spectators ALL dressed in period clothing. (Molly & Ellie would have loved it and been quite at home with the dressing up!). We waved regally from the Bentley as befitted our station!!!! Later that night it was dancing under the stars to various bands including Big Band music from the NZ Navy as well as Jazz Quartets - Gytha was picked up by a very interesting character who was a great dancer - although he might have been trying to pick up Brian!! Another night which ended well after midnight!

Sunday morning another bright clear day that promised to be hot 30+ degrees. Brian managed to squeeze the Bentley between bollards on to the pavement - the Bentley turns out to have 4 x 4 capability with its huge wheels and bags of torque. Bonnet up for everyone to admire the pristine and gleaming engine then off to watch the kids Soap Box Derby. What an effort everyone makes, some weird and wonderful creations being push started by hot Dads and driven fiercely by competitive girls and boys - huge fun and brilliant. A spot of lunch then strolling along the lawns and the promenade next to a deep blue sea to admire the tents and gazebos filled with the cast of Downton Abbey!

A huge THANK YOU to Gytha & Brian for making us so welcome and giving us an experience we'll never forget. Brian
Lyn with Brian, Gytha & 'The Boys'Lyn with Brian, Gytha & 'The Boys'Lyn with Brian, Gytha & 'The Boys'

Guess who's taking the photo!
is an absolute legend - so many people from all over NZ know of him and his mechanical genius; he is so unassuming but an absolute fund of knowledge of all cars and things mechanical. He patiently talks to everyone who shows genuine interest in any of his vehicles- a lovely guy. He & Gytha introduced us to so many of their friends including 'the boys' Mel & Brad who helped him with the Bentley restoration.

It feels very strange to be back in the 21st century wearing our shorts and t-shirts again. Next adventure canoeing down the Whanganui !!!

Lol Lyn & Tony xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Night time revellers!Night time revellers!
Night time revellers!

Brian's the one in the 'road kill' jacket!
For the petrol heads amongst you!For the petrol heads amongst you!
For the petrol heads amongst you!

This is what you call a clean engine!


24th February 2014

Napier - art deco capital of the world!
Wow indeed - we have happy memories of all the art deco buildings - and for you to catch it at Carnival Time, how lucky................

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb