11 August 2011


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Napier
August 14th 2011
Published: August 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As usual we set off early and without breakfast in order to make a good start with the driving. The trip up to Paihia was due to take about 3.5 hours, but Nick had given us a number of suggestion of places to stop on the way.

We first stopped at the historic village of Puhoi, which was founded by Bohemians in 1863. There we found a delightful little tea room in Puhoi Cottage where the owner made us very welcome and explained the history of the place. He specialised in cream teas, so even thought it was breakfast time, a number of had a huge scone, strawberry jam and thick cream.

Pressing on we next stopped at a Dutch Cheese Shop “the last cheese shop for miles”! The shop was stuffed with all sorts of cheeses and other items that you wouldn’t normally expect to find in the local supermarket. Bought some gouda with cumin seeds for eating later.

Next stopped at Langs Beach which is a well known surfing and beauty spot before finally arriving in Paihia around 4pm. The 2 aaprtments were absolutely stunning with great views and each having an outdoor spa bath. The lady who looked after the complex was exceptionally helpful as well. Stephanie and Tux wandered off along the front, while the rest of us walked round to the local supermarket to stock up and get some food in to cook for supper, which we cooked in our apartment.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb