Hanging out in Hawke's Bay


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Napier
March 19th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Next to Napier in Hawke's Bay on the east coast of the North Island. Home of fine wine, art deco galore and Chris, a friend from Horizons missionary days who I'd not seen for a good few years. Stayed with her for a week and between us, we had a leisurely time with her recovering from an operation and me in latter trip flagging stage. So, twas a week of late mornings, coffee and chat, cafe lunches and pootling about taking in Napier and its environs. Did a bit of wine tasting, forest walking, spa soaking, harbour viewing, film watching and socialising with various of Chris's friends. On the last day I did another of my epic cycles to a town called Clive where the annual Hopepa fair was happening. A real crowd puller with all sorts on offer from craft workshops, local produce and cheese tasting stalls, Irish dancing, bands playing, knights routing, pianists recitaling and jugglers juggling.

Meanwhile Chris was in a place called Taupo helping a friend with some Ironman training. An epic EPIC venture as I've since discovered. For those like me new to such endeavours, Ironman's an event that goes in various countries and involves 2 miles swimming, 100 miles cycling and then a full marathon. All on the same day. All within the maximum time of 16 hours. The world champion does it in about 7 hours so I've heard. Chris is planning to do it next year and will start training as soon as she's fit and well. Just the thought of a marathon is mind-blowing enough for me so big respect there.

Soooooo, that was my time in Napier. From Napier I went on to Wellington with the intention of staying a few days for the Arts festival. Had money not been an object I would have stayed but in the end I just did an overnighter, leapt on the ferry the next morning and headed for the hills of the South Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb