NEW ZEALAND!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Mercury Bay
March 19th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rotarua Hot SpringsRotarua Hot SpringsRotarua Hot Springs

Now that's relaxing!
We love New Zealand!! We only just arrived yesterday in Aukland, North Island, and quickly made arrangements to head out the next day. We are traveling on the Kiwi Experience Hop-on Hop off bus, really fun, with loads of backpackers from all over. What a blast! Everyone is excited and cool (and currently partying here at our Turltle Cove Youth Hostel). Our bus took us winding through the mountains - what spectacular views - steep green mountains, just stunning scenery!!

We are a bit knackered after a day sea kayacking in Mercury Bay. We saw a few stingrays in shallow waters, kayacked around an island, and got a story about the area from our kayack guide. What a wonderful day. We pulled over mid-trip to Catherdral Cove where we had a Mochachino, enjoyed the views, walked the cove (walking feet from a lazy fur seal). What a place! Just wonderful! Off early tommorrow to Rotarua. . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Kiwi Bus GirlsKiwi Bus Girls
Kiwi Bus Girls

Road Trip New Zealand
Kiwi Bus FriendsKiwi Bus Friends
Kiwi Bus Friends

Good times! (we missed the group photo waiting for the weather to clear on the glacier - this was taken near Queenstown later in the trip where we all met up again)
Mercury Bay, New Zealand Mercury Bay, New Zealand
Mercury Bay, New Zealand

Kayaking to Cathedral Cove


20th March 2007

Green as the Hills with Envy
I really, really wish I could do what you're doing. I've always wanted to see New Zealand. I didn't realize the North Island was beautiful also. Enjoy yourselves. I hear the Kiwi's drink even more beer than the Aussie's. Miss, you already experiences all the great beer drinkers in the world since you've seen the Czechs and the Irish. I did my annual field trip to Honey Lake and Eagle Lake this weekend and had spectacular weather and great birds (Sage Grouse, Eagles, and mountain specialities) and mammals as well (Pronghorn, BT Deer, YB Marmots, and Coyotes). Miss you. Dad.
22nd March 2007

Blowfish in Auckland
Be sure to stop by the new Blowfish in Auckland. Jason Tiplitsky is my partner in Thump Radio and also owns Blowfish. He is currently in NZ so ask about him and say hi from me if you should go to Blowfish Sushi.
23rd March 2007

Captain Cook
Captain Cook stopped in Mercury Bay in 1769, as part of his great expedition. During his stay he traded with the natives and made astronomical observations of the Transit of Mercury. That is where the bay got it's name. I'm not sure if you heard about this bit of history during your great expedition, but I thought I'd just mention it and send you some love. Lots of love, Chris.

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb