Wait a mo! WE are in Waitamo!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » King Country » Waitomo
November 11th 2005
Published: November 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

9.11.05
We drove to Otorohanga through Tirau where they had dog and sheep shaped buildings which were unusual. We got to Otorohanga had a short walk around here then moved onto Waitomo, where we planned to do some caving. We made the most of the sun and got sunbathing around the pool. That evening we went for a walk to a look out point (that means steep climbing) It was a great view though. After dinner we went for a drive in the dark to scenic reserve where there were glow worms by the river. Armed with our little torch we set off. Straight away in the carpark we saw a possum! Which is surprising because all the parks have poison down to kill them as they eat the kiwis and are regaurded as pests. After trying several tracks we found the correct one to lead us to the glow worms. The glow worms were cool.

10.11.05 Got up nice and early as we had a packed day ahead of us. We booked a trip with Rap, Rock and Raft (or something like that) for $99. Arrived at the office and met our team mates for the day (3 south
Waitomo valleyWaitomo valleyWaitomo valley

The view on our walk.
africans) we drove to a shed in the middle of the hills and started to get kitted out. We were issued with wet suits, track suit bottoms with holes in, white wellies with holes in, wet suit jacket, a hard hat with a make shift light on top and a harness.
Got to the cave and shown how to abseil and off we went. Andy voluntered to go first to test out the equipment.

We abseiled 27m into a canyon (big hole) with a stream at the bottom. Had wicked views on the way down. It took me (mel) a while to just hang over the edge, but once over zoomed down.
At the bottom we left our harnesses and were given an inner tube. Off we went into this massive, black and very wet cave. We saw eels and some wicked glow worms, like an amazing nights sky.
We walked deep into the cave through the water then came back on our rubber rings with our lights out! So pitch black. We got back to where we started from and set off in the other direction. This was more hard going and deeper water. Deep into the caves (60m underground) we stopped ontop of some rocks. Here we had a hot drink and a chocolate bar. Then we set off and did some caving through small holes! This was cool. The south african girls were scared and didn't want to do it! We sailed through, no problem. (these photos are on our underwater camera, so you'll have to wait a mo) After climbing we climbed down some rocks and waded back, chest high, through the caves. The rock formations were amazing, and we managed to get ourselves a good part of it too.
Once back at where we started it was time to climb out, 24m. Guess who went first, Andy. He zipped up there no problem, but then again he's a bit of an expert now. The girls found it difficult and scarey. One girl got stuck but the guide said there's only one way out! Funny. Mel zipped up no problem too.
Then back at the shed for a warm shower and de'gear. A good day, our legs were shattered by the time we were out.

We got back to the campsite, had our lunch and chilled around the pool. Went to the tavern across the road for a drink.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th November 2005

Birthday Greetings
Melisa Many Happy returns for yesterday, today, tomorrow or next week depending what time zone you are in. Like the white boots you look like you have just landed on the Moon not New Zealand! Stay Safe love Tony and Rhonda x x

Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 31; qc: 137; dbt: 0.1599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb