New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hawkes Bay » Napier
November 21st 2010
Published: November 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Morning all, we are on our last leg of our trip to New Zealand but my travelblog is on week 1. That's good 'cause I can relive this great road journey. I wanted to just say when I closed my last blog. While still in the 'Bay of Plenty' Kiwi growing county. I read that the kiwi fruit we all eat was originally the Chinese gooseberry. some New Zealand farmers' took it, mess around with it a bit and out came this big sweet fruit. some of the saftey road signs are of kiwi fruit. A family of kiwi fruit all wearing their seat belts. A group of flat kiwi, not paying attention to the road. etc.

On the road to Napier, now on the highway 5 through forests, and I mean real forests! until we reach Napier perched on the Pacific Ocean. The city's was destroyed in an earthquake in 1931 and was rebuilt in the style of the period. So it has an art-decor style.
We parked up for the night next to the beach with the ocean view unfront of us. It was fantastic and didn't cost a penny. We did the right think tho' and asked at the information office on the rules of just parking up on the beach. Next day Friday 12th we were on our way after treating ourselves to breakfast in town; especially as we had a free night's accommodation with the best view. Highway 2 through Waupawa, Waipekurau, try saying them. A lot of places we're gone through have a Mauri name. But then we drove through a Danish village, just for Mette; it was called Dannevirke. took the highway 3 at Woodville and went round the out skirts of Palmerston North. Now we are on the west coast after crossing from the east. Got on the 57 and joined the highway 1 at Levin. All this driving and great scenery means we stopped often and I get my cup of coffee! From Napier to Palmerston North we drove 323km and took us just under 5 hours possibly stightly longer because of the drink stops. From N.P. to our desination of Otaki was another hour approx: We stopped eventually for the night in this small town. Gosh! we were tired. No apologise for bad spelling, always rushed in this internet cafe's. Other people always waiting.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb