New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hawkes Bay » Hastings
December 26th 2013
Published: December 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I spent 10 days in New Zealand just coming up to Summer Solstice, December 2013; I was surprised how complex it was to leave Melbourne: after passing through security there was an enormous queue to get through Borders Patrol, with a form to complete, and an officer to check me out; I'd have thought they would be glad to see you out, but it seems the obsessive checks continue. (Upon arrival, one must also complete a form stating what if anything one is bringing in, no foodstuffs are allowed, or indeed any animal products, leather, seeds.) I didn't take my drum over, in case they took it from me. And having admitted to living on a farm, they check one's boots, take them off to wash them if any traces remain on the soles. They are quite fanatical about no more inappropriate products inadvertently arriving and further destroying the habitat. Fair enough I guess, when one sees what has happened thus far.



My friend Adrienne picked me up from Auckland airport and drove me to meet various relatives who lived nearby. Out of town our route took us through pastures and farmland, up hill and down dale, towards her place of origin, a farm near Onewhera, and we stayed the night nearby. The contrast with Australia is immediately evident, with mountains and tumps and bumps always visible, and green everywhere, trees and grass. I also soon noticed that the birds are similar to those back home, sparrows, thrushes, sparrows, blackbirds, whereas those in Oz are far larger and more brightly coloured. I didn't ever see a kiwi!

Garden plants and weeds also the same or similar. Although the south eastern part of Australia is still green and verdant, (only the start of summer yet), there is some significant difference, not quite sure what.



After arriving at Adrienne's house in Hastings we made plans to head out to the country for a couple of days to visit her small holding at Hinerua, an hours drive south. En route we picked up apples from a local orchard, and cherries from a roadside stall. I love visiting there, the beautiful views of distant mountains and nearby hills, the sheep quietly grazing pastures and always water, a creek or a small pond, frogs croaking loudly until I get too close. Then they shut up, shame, I never saw one. They have a lovely old wooden weatherboard house miles from any neighbours, and ten acres of land on which to graze a few sheep.. Several of which are old friends, come when called, as they were bottle fed lambs. The house is surrounded by their newly planted trees, flowers and veggie gardens, in fact I did some weeding during my stay. And we lit a wee fire to celebrate Solstice a little early, using pine cones and dried cow dung.



We drove a little way up their unpaved road to the Motororo river for a walk upstream: a very significant walk because the authorities are planning to build a dam which will flood the river basin right up to the tree tops on the tall cliffs, the river will disappear. So Adrienne and her partner are fiercely opposed, and presented their submissions of opposition to a hearing taking place nearby during my stay. There is a lot of opposition but most think the state will win, sad to say, maybe with some concessions... We will see.



Still, on this day we had a gorgeous walk which involved wading across or along several of the winding river's braids, often against a strong current, over large stones and pebbles. We all got our shorts wet to some degree, eventually mine were soaked through after our walk back, but worth it for such a rare chance to view spectacular and threatened scenery... Lots of trees, and native wild plants, apparently some falcons though we didn't spot them we did see several large hawks.

The high cliffs reminded me a bit of the canyons I saw in the States with Jack, in Zion National Park, with tributaries joining the river in between. We found a swimming hole and enjoyed a brief skinny dip, yum!

Sadly I forgot to take my camera, and though we persuaded A's partner to take pics on his phone, we have to find a way to get them off that and onto my iPad... May take some time!



Back into Hastings for the rest of my stay and sadly A's mother became very poorly and needing attention. I do like the town, and enjoyed a morning exploring the local shops, all within walking distance of A's house. Another day I took myself off on the bus to Napier, not far away, and enjoyed wandering along the Ocean with a proper Sorbet to lick. I found a tourist bus which took me along the coast a bit to Pandora Pond for a paddle in a kayak followed by a swim. Glorious to spot so many wading birds in the sand of the estuary during low tide, some herons and what looked like masses of sandpipers with incredibly long beaks.

Hungry after that, till I found a cafe serving Seafood Chowder overlooking the sailing boats in the harbour, yum, a long time since I tasted that, creamy and full of mussels, cockles etc.



Twice during my stay on bright sunny mornings at 8 am. we drove over to Haumona to meet with friends, take a short walk along the pebbles of the beach followed by a swim in the Ocean. I was fairly scared by tales told to me during the walking on my first day, of tides and rips and strong currents doing overpowering things; still it was simply divine to dare to go in, much helped by being in a group, the water quite warm and calmish past the big waves on the shore. And coming out was a group effort, with women telling me the correct moment to go for it, holding both my hands to escort me over the scarey place, a drop in the Ocean floor, and phew, there we were, back on the pebbles again, refreshed and pleased with ourselves for having made it!



The sun now getting quite hot, there was a short sunbathing time, followed by some chanting round a stone circle before homegrown herb tea in the garden, where one woman had an outdoor shower (I want one!) and a view of the sea.



Another lovely moment was taking a walk along the Ocean Beach a bit further along the coast in the rain. As we started, the drizzle began, it was warm enough not to matter much so we wandered along the sand with our feet in the water, in our raincoats. Till there was a downpour and a thunderstorm and we ran for the car, becoming soaked to the skin laughing as we ran, and drove back wrapped in towels and sarongs.



There were several thunderstorms during my visit to New Zealand, they seemed to intersperse the warm days, and apparently the rain was much appreciated after quite a drought.

I took a plane back up to Auckland from Napier, such a small airport I had to take a pic.

In my haste to be on time, we arrived far too early, 20 minutes before the flight would have been time enough!



And thence onward to Melbourne, arriving in time to accompany Darius and Salvie to the local Night Market, a Christmas special, where I topped up my hippie wardrobe and we ate paella with various friends. A lovely end to my New Zealand holiday.

Advertisement



26th December 2013

Southern Hemisphere
Hi darlin', lovely to read your stories about summer and skinny dipping etc. in the southern hemisphere around summer solstice there, as we've just had our winter solstice here! And as always your wonderful descriptions of ppl you're with and places you go on your travels. Thanks honey, Gracie xoxoxooxox

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb