Hamilton life


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hamilton
March 30th 2007
Published: March 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hamilton highlights

Markers of where I work (glenview, south) and live (Rototuna, north)

Peter & YlainePeter & YlainePeter & Ylaine

Dinner with my current adoptive family!!

Hamilton highlights
Anna Caswell
I have been very slack at writing the blogs recently, and I do appologise to the few of you that are still keen to read what I am doing. My excuse? Well it is that I am working so hard that I don't have spare time to write witty and amusing things for you. In actual fact the truth is I do have time, I just don't have the energy or the imagination!

I arrived in Hamilton in the beginning of February, to work in a mixed vet practice. There are 3 other vets (all male), rangeing in age from early 30s to early 60s, all with kids at varying ages. As a consequence the out of hours socialising with work mates has been restricted to a couple of polite dinners!

Hamilton itself is a big city by NZ standards, but probably doesn't even compare to the size of Northampton. I live one end of town, and work on the other (see map), and it takes a good 25mins commuting, which compared to cities back home isn't too bad. However it also compares to Northampton in terms of excitement, ie not a lot going on! It's surrounded by
MusselsMusselsMussels

I'm piling on the pounds with Ylaine's great cooking - NZ mussels are so cheap compared to back home, but still a real treat.
fairly flat green pastures, ideal for cows, but not too inspiring. Saying that it's not far from the coast, and I've had a couple of great weekends by the sea. There are also plenty of lakes if you like fishing or watersports...read on

I'm staying with the company director (there are 4 practices under the same umbrella), who works at one of the other practices. He has just announced his retirement, which gives you an idea of his age. However Peter and his wife have been fantastic at putting me up. I feel like I'm being very spoilt - I have fantastic veggie meals cooked for every night, and I have a huge comfortable bed to sleep in, in my own room! Quite a luxury after months of dorm rooms and small hard beds.

As well as food and accomodation, Peter has been showing the delights of the Waikato region. On only my second weekend I was taken off to the nearby lake to play about in the boat. New Zealanders with families (from what I can gather!) tend to spend their money on buying boats for fishing and watersports, rather than airfares to France like we do
Me waterskiingMe waterskiingMe waterskiing

My first weekend in Hamilton, Peter took me out on the nearby lake on his boat - even got a go waterskiing!
at home. This means far more outside activity close to home, understandable when you consider that the nearest other country is Australia, and the beaches in New Zealand are generally pretty good, even if the weather isn't quite Ozzie standards. So I managed to get up on a pair of waterskiis and had a great time being whizzed around the lake, taking turns with the kids and grandkids!

If that wasn't enough, I then got taken to Ylaine's brother-in-laws, John, who has a 'lifestyle block'. These 'blockers' are very common, especially in this area, and consist of a small house and varying acres of land, where people raise a few sheep or cows, have some chickens, and generally have a bit of a play at being part time farmers. Certainly provides plenty of work for us vets, as these animals are generally treated more like pets, and as such have more sentimental attachement. Only this morning I had the unenviable task of putting down a pig. Never an easy task at the best of times, but with a grieving owner it was doubly hard - sedation, ear veins and tourniquets all required!

Anyhow, back to the point, John
Waikato from the airWaikato from the airWaikato from the air

A trip in the microlite of Ylaine's brother-in-law gives a great view over Waikato area - lots of green fields and cows!
has converted his land into a small airfield, and the barn is now a shed for his microlite! Called flying lawnmowers in my house, these light weight motor planes are increasingly popular here. I can understand why, it was an exhilarating experience to feel the wind in my hair and look down on the beautiful green fields below, who needs bungy jumping?

So that about sums up my life right now, I'm hoping to add my exciting weekend side trips as alternative blogs. I leave here on Thursday, and resume my travelling again, so you never know, the blogs might (I did say might) become more regular. Thank you to everyone who is still writing to me despite my lack of contact, it's appreciated!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hamilton rainbowsHamilton rainbows
Hamilton rainbows

Whenever it rains around Hamilton you are almost guaranteed to see rainbows. This is taken from behind the house


2nd April 2007

Beauty!
Where are you off to next Anna?
2nd April 2007

hi
hi chick, sorry i haevnt been in touch inages but wedding plans seem to have taken over my life!!!!, i still catch up on your blogs its great to see you having a good time. when are you back here? will you be back for aug 4th? if so you are more than welcome to a wedding recption! take care love maria
3rd April 2007

Zoe's mum
Zoe has told me what a great travelling companion you were. Vietnam i think would be more fun if she had a few really good friends to do things with, but we certainly ejoyed our week with her. Hope your new travels go well.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb