Napier - Rotorua - Coromandel Peninsula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hahei
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Quick one - Napier Gannets very cool and smelly. Went to National Aquarium, walked along Napier beach, had nibbles with hosts every night and far too much wine (again!)

Next travelled to Rotorua, cultural central for Mauri heritage. Had 3 days and nights here, in that time I did the following things: Geothermal wonderland, glass blowing, Mauri cultural evening, Kiwi Hatchery, Wildlife sanctuary, town tour, museum, NZ Mauri arts and crafts centre, walk on lake, (tried desperately to get flight on helicopter to volcano, but as on own and business slow I didn't get chance...gutted!), volcanic valley hike and bit of shopping. Amazing place, it was great to learn about the culture, history, mythology etc. from Mauri people directly and to see that there are palces where the skills are taught to future generations. Highlight was the Mitai cultural evening, food cooked in authentic way, watched dances/fighting exercises, tried to speak Mauri, learnt about the tattoos and symbology of everything they carve, paint etc. It was awesome. Also the geysers and geothermal wonders had me captivated for a whole day, will update the photos as you will not believe the colours of the craters, crystals and lakes! (another time as this pc is not great)

Stayed in a place with Dutch couple, lovely home, but I swear it is haunted, did not get more than 2 hours solid sleep a night and every morning I woke up with a new tiny bruise on my arm......any suggestions??!!!

Now in Tairua on Coromandel Peninsula. Beautiful area, famous hot water beach - get there at low tide, take a spade, dig a shallow pool and it fills up with volcanically warmed water!! There were at least a hundred people there, a local later suggested its best to come at the 2nd low tide of early morning or midnight if you are lucky to be travelling through at right time. Also have done glass bottom boat cruise, went snorkelling with bottlenose dolphins (was complete fluke we found them), they were playing with seaweed and showing off doing all kinds of flips, splashes and bursts of speed - it's so much better to be in their environment and they have choice to play or not (unlike manufactured dolphin experiences!). Walked to Cathedral Cove, where they filmed some of the Chronicles of Narnia and some of Prince Caspian (haven't seen them), but the hole in the rock and subsequent rocks in the sea all around you in a James Bond bad guy Scaramanga kind of way was very cool and worth the hours trek and many steps to get there!

Had sleep on stunning beach late afternoon, the driving is getting to me, the bends in roads are relentless and constant, why can't they just blast a tunnel through mountains and hills like we do! lol Now a bite to eat, early night (I know I am such a party animal) and then off for a one night stop in Auckland tmrw, as day after long drive to top of North Island.

Any hoo, you are all far too busy xmas shopping, wrapping and watching the snow to be reading this rubbish! As said before will add photos when can.

CONGRATULATIONS TO MARTIN & JEN!! They had baby girl Emily on 10th, very cool and can't wait to visit!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb